? Possible IAA or Acro Need advice

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Beenie (GA), Jul 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beenie (GA)

Beenie (GA) Well-Known Member

I was hoping some experts on IAA/Acro could help me decide if testing is in order for my Beenie or is it too soon? Just not sure when to pull the trigger with testing since she is getting a pretty high dose now. If in the end she just ends up being a high dose kitty that's ok, but if action is needed to treat an underlying condition I don't want to wait when I can start helping her now. I keep testing for ketones and thankfully all tests have been negative.
    Any thoughts are appreciated.
    Thank you!

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Maybe an acro kitty. I f I gave my acro MurrFee a too low dose his PS would be in the 300s or so and then over the day the BG would climb to HI (>600) and then go down to the 300s at next PS. I do not see that trend in your SS. However, at a low dose like 2 units you do not have any BG between shots. Your "curves" are essentially flat.
    You can:
    - Try reducing dose and see if you get a reverse cure.
    - have IGF-1 blood test and get the insulin resistance test too
    - Try changing to another insulin like Lantus or Levemir. Levemir is supposed to sting lest at high doses than Levemir

3. Beenie (GA)

Thank you. Waiting to hear from my vet and will discuss testing so we can rule out acro.

4. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Having the lab work done would let you know if your dealing with IAA or Acro. That way you know why the dose keeps increasing.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  5. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

These are the two tests to diagnose these conditions. They would have to be done at Michigan State University. The blood sample would be drawn and prepared at your vets and then shipped to MSU for analysis. The costs shown are what MSU charges and do not include your vet costs or shipping costs. If you are going to have a test done it is more cost efficient to have both tests done at the same time...only one blood draw and one shipping charge. Some kitties may have both conditions.

Insulin Like Growth Factor-1 to check for acromegaly:

https://www.animalhealth.msu.edu/Bin/Catalog.exe?Action=Test&PAGE=11&Id=1401

Insulin Autoantibody to check for IAA

https://www.animalhealth.msu.edu/Bin/Catalog.exe?Action=Test&PAGE=11&Id=1494

6. Beenie (GA)

Oh wow so these are quite special tests. I will share with my vet and ask for both to be done at the same time, like you said save on shipping. Thank you so much for the info!!

Tuxedo Mom likes this.
  7. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

In addition to getting the tests done, you might want to discuss with the vet the possibility of switching to Levemir. I would choose it over Lantus for high doses. MSU is the only place in North America that does these tests. In Europe, blood is sent to the Royal Veterinary Clinic.

8. Beenie (GA)

Thank you Wendy!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.