Possible IBD /Gastritis and Corticosteroids?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by lenistar, Aug 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lenistar

lenistar Member

Hi, everyone,

Ugh. So my sweet kitty is still vomiting / experiencing diarrhea. He's had stretches where it's been better since his last appointment at the end of May where the vet did a physical exam, blood work, fecal exam, urinalysis, and x-rays. This latest bout of vomiting / diarrhea made the vet recommend Cerenia and Metronidazole. He got his first dose of Cerenia last night (I was unable to administer the Met because he kept spitting it out, even when I tried giving it by hand). But then this morning he vomited multiple times after eating, like he couldn't hold down his food.

I spoke to the vet, and she'd like me to bring him in tomorrow morning, so we have an appointment for a recheck. It's possible he'll need an ultrasound, which unfortunately they only do at the Referral Hospital. I'm worried he may have inflammatory bowel disease and that they'll recommend Corticosteroids, which I've heard can trigger diabetes. He's never been a full-fledged diabetic, although about a year ago he was declared borderline/pre-diabetic. I changed his diet, and his blood sugar/fructosamine have been fine since.

Note: I did give him a very small amount of food at around 12:15 p.m. EST (2.5 hours ago), and he hasn't vomited since.

I'm just getting so scared. Any insight/guidance would be much appreciated. Thank you so much.

All the best to you and your kitties,
    Leni

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

I'm sorry your kitty is feeling bad. You mentioned giving him food, so it sounds like he is still eating. That is good. Assuming you feed wet food, you may want to consider adding extra water to help prevent dehydration which can occur with vomiting and diarrhea.

Did they find anything from all those tests in May? Was he having this same issue back then?

Anymore vomiting today?

3. lenistar

lenistar Member

Thank you for your response. Fortunately, since this morning, he hasn't vomited anymore. I've only fed him two small amounts because I didn't want to overwhelm his sensitive stomach. With his latest feeding a couple hours ago, I gave him some slippery elm bark mixed with water. I'll be giving him his Cerenia in about 20 minutes and will feed him a slightly larger amount. I'll add water, too. The vet said not to give the Metronidazole tonight.

All of his tests from May were normal. Yes, he was having some vomiting and diarrhea back then. But the vomiting has recently become more frequent than before.

It's so hard because I hate causing him stress with a car ride and visit to the vet if it's going to trigger more issues (given the relationship between stress and GI issues), but I also of course don't want a problem to go undiagnosed.

4. lenistar

lenistar Member

Oh and yes, his appetite is good. Which I agree seems like a good sign.

5. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Metronidazole tastes terrible. When I administer it I put the tablet (usually 1/4 of 1 250 mg tablet) in a #3 gelcap.
    Regarding steroids, I would discuss with your vet trying budesonide (1 mg once daily). That steroid tends to stay in the GI tract and typically has little effect on BG. I have had several cats, both diabetic and not on budesonide.

6. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Becky & Baby Girl GA Well-Known Member

My Baby was recently diagnosed (by symptoms only) with ibd. I have a very difficult time
    Pilling Baby. My vet prescribed a transdermal metronidazole for the inner ear. I did have to pick it up at a compounding pharmacy but it wasn’t too expensive. She said she may have to be on it forever for her diahpoo. I give her cerenia for vomiting, nausea or when she looks miserable & doesn’t have much appetite. My vet also has her on b12 cyano to absorb nutrients better. It is a sub q shot, I use her insulin syringes. I have not switched her diet to duck or venison as they’ve suggested but I guess I’ll need to find some that are low carb & hope she eats it! I hope you get some answers for your kit! I’m sure the vet will discuss the budesonide with you & hopefully won’t affect his bg! Best wishes!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.