Possible ketoacidosis

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Aveira Paterson, Dec 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aveira Paterson

Aveira Paterson New Member

His symptoms: Hes really slow walking, seems to struggle to stay on his feet. Struggles to jump. Depressed. Hes not eating like usual (3 cans were not enough a day for him, hes barely ate 1 can in 2 days), doesnt seem to be drinking much. Hes lost whatever weight hes recently gained. Last night he was breathing funny but it appeared to be his nose. Hes not purring or responding to his usual favorite spots to be rubbed. He had 1 ui last night, as he was a bit high. I tested today after he ate a bit (hubby fed him, I was at work, hubby doesnt know how to test) and he was 420. Gave him 1 ui. Tested again just now 6 hours after insulin and hed still at 420.

If hes not better by tomorrow I'm taking him to the vet, but I really cant afford hundreds of dollars in vet Bill's right now. I dont know what I'm supposed to do. I dont even feel like hes going to make it to tomorrow.

2. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

please take whitepaw to the vet as soon as possible. if it is dka, it can be life threatening.
    i'm in bed. tagging
    @Bron and Sheba (GA)

3. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry to hear Whitepaw is not well.

I think he needs to see a vet ASAP.

The BG readings you have taken are a bit sporadic and there have been a lot of skipped shots and reduced doses. It's impossible to tell you what the problem is however I do find it odd that BG went down to normal range twice after skipped shots which could suggest your cat was on too high a dose of insulin but that does not mean you should stop the insulin because he may still need it. From what you describe, it could very well be Diabetic ketoacidosis which can occur when there is not enough calories, not enough insulin and an infection/inflammation. You mentioned breathing problems possibly in his nose which would make me wonder if he might have an upper respiratory infection. Diabetic cats are also prone to UTIs. With his decreased appetite, being unsteady on his feet, breathing issues and general behavioural changes, I'd get him to the vet ASAP. Ketoacidosis is much easier and successful to treat the sooner it is dealt with.

4. Aveira Paterson

We were away for a few days so I was unable to input any info.

I plan to take him in tomorrow.

5. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

I agree I would take him in now to the vet. The sooner you get him there the quicker they can start treatment and it could well be cheaper in the long run if they catch it early if it is DKA.
    If you leave it til the morning it could well be too late and he will suffer in the meantime.

Please keep us posted.
    :bighug:

6. Charlotte and Lucky’s mom

Charlotte and Lucky’s mom Well-Known Member

Please take your kitty to the vet ASAP as it can more difficult to help a cat the longer you wait before seeking help. Along with the concerns mentioned by those above, sometimes they get dehydrated which will make them not want to eat and act funny. Early kidney issues can also make them wobble or act funny. Please keep us posted with your vet visit.

7. Aveira Paterson

He took a turn for the worst last night and weve decided it's best to put him down. Obviously I dont want to, hes my baby, but hes suffering. That's one thing I didnt want.

8. Aveira Paterson

I'm already blaming myself.

9. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

What about getting lab work done to see just what is going on? If treatable, then you have options. If not treatable, then you know you've made the right decision.

10. majandra

majandra Well-Known Member

If it is not too late:

It could be an upper respiratory thing. Quite a few years ago, one of my young cats got one from an idiot at a cat show who went touching all the cats, and she looked deathly ill, but recovered 100%. I can't remember her treatment, but it was inexpensive.
    Regardless of what you do, you do need to get calories/fluids into him. If he can't smell his food, he won't eat. You could try parmesan cheese on top. Or try absolutely anything you think he'd be interested in.
    Wishing the best for you. Whatever you feel is best, remember that you made the decision for a reason, so do NOT beat yourself up.

11. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

I'm sorry please let us know what you decided to do about Whitepaw, if you decided on any blood work done before letting him go. My heart goes out to you

12. Aveira Paterson

We decided it was best to put him down. He was laying in the dining room growling at any movement or noise, urinating and pooing while he was laying there and wouldnt move. They vet asked if we wanted to test him, see what was wrong, but I decided he was just so far gone this was better.

13. majandra

majandra Well-Known Member

*hugs*
    be gentle to yourself. don't overthink it. let yourself grieve. I won't lie- it will likely hurt like hell for a few days, and you will question everything you did from before he was yours right up to the last moment. It will get better though. And the nagging voice does get a little quieter. You loved him dearly, did everything you could, and when he was hurting too much, you made the hard decision to give him a gentle release. You made the right decision.
    So sorry for your loss :(

14. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

@Aveira Paterson I am so very sorry, you did the right thing, just reading about him laying there like that just broke my heart, I wouldn't want to see him suffer like that either, you did everything you could and gave him a good life and I'm sure he knew that you loved him, Gentle hugs

15. Aveira Paterson

There was no before me, I watched him be born in my kitchen. I think that's partly why it was so hard. Thank you for your kind words ❤

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.