Possible NS - Advice?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by JaiJai, Mar 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JaiJai

JaiJai Member

Hi Everyone, Jai just read at 124 (double checked, once each ear 121 for other ear) for pre-PM read. I am planning on waiting until 915pm to check her again. She's been doing a bit of a yo-yo on her numbers, which I figured would even out after getting her on a full wet diet (we're almost 2 days into only wet food). Despite this, she had a glucose curve done by the vet on Friday, who said she responded perfectly and her dose was good. Above what glucose number is it ok to give her her dose (2U)? Should I do less, such as 1U?

Edit: Forgot to mention I fed her after taking glucose at 815PM.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

This is too low for insulin. It’s also not likely she’ll go high enough in an hour. If you’re using a human meter you can give the full dose if BG is above 200.

3. JaiJai

JaiJai Member

I'm using a pet meter (AlphaTrak2). I'll check her again in just a few minutes and report back. I assume BG will be too low - then I just skip and do as normal in the AM?

4. JaiJai

JaiJai Member

She's at 185! Still too low to give full dose? Any thoughts on partial dose??

5. srk4cats

srk4cats Well-Known Member

185 is a high enough number for a full dose, in my opinion, but if you're nervous about it, at least give 1 unit.

6. JaiJai

JaiJai Member

Is there any guidelines for what numbers are "good" or "ok" for giving a dose?

7. JaiJai

JaiJai Member

I think I might have delayed too long and now I'm going to leave her as a no-shoot for tonight. Using the opportunity to check her BG every few hours and see how quickly she bounces back to high numbers.

8. JaiJai

JaiJai Member

Just tested at 276, 2 hrs post food right now.

9. JaiJai

JaiJai Member

376... starting to rethink my decision :(

10. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Generally speaking, we suggest no shot under 220 for a pet meter when you're still new. As you collect more data, that can be dropped. I do think you made the right decision with no shot last night. Next time that happens, you don't have to keep testing...you can give both you and your kitty a break if you want!

Jai will probably be high this morning. That's TOTALLY FINE. She will be reacting to the NS last night, but we have ALL had that happen and it's better that you kept her safe. As I said, over time, as you collect data, you might shoot at lower numbers, but not just yet. I wouldn't raise the dose due to a higher number this AM...2 units gave you a good PMPS last night, so let's see what it does today even if she's high.

Djamila, JaiJai and Kris & Teasel like this.
  11. JaiJai

JaiJai Member

First - thank you for the reassurance. Jai's been pretty annoyed with me poking her so much, I just wish I could let her know why!

She was 419 this morning - which is actually lower than the past few mornings. We gave her the usual 2U this morning... I'm starting to think her dose is high and that she's bouncing some because of that. She was doing ok for the first 4-5 days when she was still on some dry food. But now that she's all wet it seems like her trough is getting lower and her highs are getting higher. I still have to get her glucose curve numbers from the vet - which I'll do today since I want to let them know she was so low last night.

12. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

That was a really nice cycle this morning on the 1.5u dose. I'm curious to see where she settles out over the next few days.

Rachel and JaiJai like this.
  13. JaiJai

JaiJai Member

Ok, so Jai is a few cycles into 1.5U, I haven't been testing as much in the middle of the day because I wanted to give her a few cycles to normalize and then do a curve this weekend. If 1.5U is still too much, should I bump down to 1U for the next three cycles before doing a curve? Is that enough time to keep her from bouncing too much? After the curve this weekend I'll have a better idea how her numbers are - but I won't be able to do another curve until next weekend if I do go down to 1U... I can test her at 6hrs in tonight to get a feeling for how low her mid curve is going too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.