Possible Remission?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Karla and Oliver, Feb 26, 2019.

1. Karla and Oliver

Karla and Oliver New Member

Since changing my cat Oliver's diet to very high protein, low carb his blood glucose has gone down. I started testing since I knew this might happen and stopped his insulin last Saturday (2-16-19) when his BG was 135 (he had been on 4 units of Prozinc, which I was gradually decreasing). Since then it's only gone down. I took him to the vet tonight to make sure I was getting accurate information. The vet tested and got a BG of 176 and also did a fructosamine test that showed low. He told me to discontinue the insulin, test a couple of times a week, and bring him back in to test in 4-6 weeks.

Does anyone have experience with this? Is there anything I should do to help him continue to a permanent remission?

Thank you!

2. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

We're very data driven here so we'd need to see the spreadsheet before making any comment on potential remission. I can't see your spreadsheet. You need to change your share options on the sheet so that anyone with the link can view the sheet. If you click on the Share up in the right corner when you have your sheet open, you will get the options to pick from there.:)

3. Karla and Oliver

Okay, I think I have it shared now. Thanks!

4. MrWorfMen's Mom

Thanks for fixing the spreadsheet.
    I don't see any numbers from when you were giving Oliver insulin but his numbers now are looking pretty darn good. We consider a kitty in remission if they stay in normal BG range for 14 consecutive days without insulin. Looks like you have not given any insulin for at least 7 days now. We like to see kitty getting a majority of readings in the 50 to 80 range but the odd blue number up to 120 is OK. I see 126 last night but with meter variance that might not be an issue but I would keep testing every morning and night at regular test times as you would have done when giving insulin. If Oliver's numbers hold for a total of 14 days then you can consider him to be in remission.
    I also note the 176 reading at the vet however with vet stress, I wouldn't be concerned about that reading either. Do you happen to know what the fructosamine result was? That will give you an idea of whether Oliver has been in good range for a period of the last 2 to 3 weeks.
    Fingers crossed and please do keep us posted. :D

5. Karla and Oliver

Thank you for the feedback! The fructosamine result was 191-349. I don't really know what that means, but the vet seemed happy with it. I will keep testing for another week. Thanks again!!!

6. Lisa and little

Lisa and little Well-Known Member

Yay Oliver!!

Karla and Oliver likes this.
  7. MrWorfMen's Mom

Excellent! HERE is a chart showing what the Fructosamine test results mean. Oliver is in the range of a normal non-diabetic cat. Congrats to you and Oliver! well done! :D:D:D:D

Going forward, continue to keep Oliver on a diabetic appropriate diet and test him periodically, first weekly and then monthly to ensure that if he should show signs of his BG rising again, you can catch it quickly. Often with our diabetic cats, an infection or dental issues can knock them out of remission so checking periodically can be your first clue that something is brewing and you can deal with it before it becomes a bigger issue.

Karla and Oliver likes this.
  8. Karla and Oliver

Thanks!