Possible second remission!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by blu, Feb 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blu

blu Member

Blu is dropping numbers very quickly. He did this on his first remission, so I am hopeful - but cautiously hopeful - don't want to be too excited yet!

I don't do a spreadsheet but I do pre-shot glucose monitoring. Here's an overview of what I am seeing. I'd welcome any experiences or input!

-was in remission for a year and half, low carb diet controlled
    -back on Lantus 3u BID a couple of months ago
    -his PMPS reading were staying very stubborn in the 310-350 range, sporadic nadir checks around 200-230
    -scared to increase insulin yet as he was having a low PMPS reading about once every 5-7 days in the upper 100's...which felt like the some sort of feline diabetic Russian Roulette - so happy I learned to home test!
    -almost overnight about two weeks ago, his PMPS numbers dropped from the 300-350 range to 200's, within a day or two his PMPS dropped further into the 110-150 range. Once these low numbers showed, I skipped a few doses every other time (basically once a day insulin, 3/4 of a unit) to see what would happen with his numbers and also to avoid an overdose as I am not home during the day. Numbers climbed to the 200's again, started with 1 unit, did that over the last 5 days or so, he's been steady in the 100-150 range, jumped Monday night to 220, same for the next morning shot, last evening was 180, then this morning his PSPM was...87. no shot given.

Hoping we are heading back into remission, as he went into it very fast last time. But is also makes me wonder if there is an underlying problem. His labs right before he went back on insulin were normal, slightly on the high side of normal kidney functions and dilute urine, but his elderly age accounts (per the vet) for the kidney values and vet is confident that the dilute urine is from the very high glucose at the time.

Thoughts/suggestions/questions about any of this is welcome, as Blu seems to be an odd case. He's the best little guy - purrs and gives me kisses after his shots, as if he is comforting me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.