? Possible UTI?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Panic, Nov 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Hey all, I have absolutely zero experience with UTIs or bladder infections so I could use a second opinion. My cats all primarily use the bathroom outside so I often don't even see them go but a couple weeks ago I watched Panic go to the bathroom and only pee a little bit. I gave her some canned pumpkin, I know it's for if they're constipated, not sure if it also applies to trouble peeing but figured it wouldn't hurt.

Just now I watched her go again and it's the same thing, she'll "pee" about 20 seconds but when she gets up it's just a tiny bit. No straining, no blood, just a really teeny amount of pee. I haven't noticed anything different in her like accidents or excessive drinking. Does this sound like a UTI?

Vets are closed until Monday here, I have a coupon for a free urinalysis, is that what they would do to check? I hate to be that person but it is unnerving taking her to the vet not knowing how much everything will cost. :nailbiting:

EDIT: Another thing I just thought about, we recently changed our litter from clay to wood pellets, is it possible she's peeing normally but pee doesn't make as big a "spot" in them?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
  2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Was about to save my comment then saw your edit appear - The clump can look different in wood. I use Okocat, and it is very absorbent and draws the pee down into the litter. You should be able to scoop it and see the clump size. Don't judge the amount by just looking in the box, scoop it to see the 'pee ball'. If Panic is peeing less than normal, and it looks like she sits there longer than she should for the amount, it is possible she is having issues. UTIs are common enough, and cats hide pain well enough, that if you watch her and continue to feel that there is an issue, I would say get it checked out. Better to catch/treat early than not.

I don't think the pumpkin will help with peeing. :) Too bad you don't have any PrettyLitter on hand. I pull out a bag of it if I have any concerns. It changes color if their pee is 'off'. Anyway...

Yes, a urinalysis is what the vet would do. Does your coupon include the vet visit to get the urinalysis or just the test? The vet might be willing to let you bring in a sample rather than putting Panic through the stress (and you through the cost) of a vet visit. You would need a very clean box and some non-absorbent litter.

Water is always good, so if you can get a little extra in her via her food, that definitely won't hurt.

3. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Honestly I didn't think the pumpkin would help either haha but since I've no experience with it I didn't want to assume. XD She enjoyed it though!

I just went to check the spot she went - my mom's cat decided to jump in first so I watched her pee to see how big her clump would appear - they looked to be the same size from just looking, but she was done in a few seconds whereas Panic did take longer. I couldn't exactly get an entire ball up (it doesn't look like the pellet layer was very deep) but I did see where it turned into sawdust and did look like more than what I initially thought.

I'm fine with double-checking though, especially since I already have the coupon. It doesn't cover the visit but I do have another coupon for an exam discount. Visits are cheap though. :)

I think I still have some clay litter, so if I got a clump I would be able to bring it in for them to use instead of her giving a fresh sample?

I feel a bit better now, thanks so much. She definitely gets her extra water mixed with every meal.

4. FurBabiesMama

No, they cannot do anything with a clump of urine soaked litter. If you take in the sample, it has to be clean, fresh urine only.

5. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Thanks for clarifying, that had me wondering for a sec :woot:

6. FurBabiesMama

The non-absorbent litter I referred to is usually little plastic balls or something like that. It cannot absorb anything or transfer anything to the urine. It just makes the cat actually know it's a litter box and use it. The point is to be able to capture clean, fresh urine.

7. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

OH I see, I've never heard of those before! I will have to look into them, thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.