? Possible wet food switch - Boreal to friskies

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Oscar & Mom Sheila, Feb 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oscar & Mom Sheila

Oscar & Mom Sheila Member

Oscar is on Lantus, getting .10 per injection at this point. Thinking of switching the boy from Boreal to Friskies pate.

Is there anything I need to be aware of re his insulin when I switch food? Feedback please.

2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Hi, Sheila. I have to admit, I'm not familiar with Boreal. If the carbohydrates are comparable in the food, there shouldn't be any issue. I'm assuming that Oscar is getting canned food, though. The only time we see dramatic changes is if you're switching from dry food to canned. That said, some cats are very sensitive to food changes. I'd suggest making the change when you're going to be around to test just to make sure that should Oscar surprise you, you'll know.

3. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

Hi Sheila.

I'm not familiar with Boreal, either. I looked it up and the canned food looks like it could be fairly low carb. A lot of the Friskies classics are on the high end of low carb, so you could actually be going to a higher carb food. I don't know this for a fact, and Boreal's website only gives the guaranteed analysis, so I can't figure out the carbs. I guess you'll just have to watch and see for yourself if the food change makes a difference in Oscar's numbers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.