? Possibly used non-sterile needle

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Mitzelplik's Mom, Jun 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mitzelplik's Mom

Mitzelplik's Mom Member

OK, I feel really stupid about this but there is a good chance that a non-sterile syringe was used to give Mitz her shot tonight. The pet-sitter was here for insulin injection training. I had a syringe that I drawn water in a couple days ago (that's another story and not relevant here) and I was going to give it her to take home if she wanted to practice on fruit. It was on the counter (capped) by all the kitty supplies and some new syringes. In the process of trying to remember everything I needed to show her, I forgot about the practicing on fruit part. After she left, I realized I can't find the practice syringe and I can't remember actually opening the package that each new one is wrapped in. I'm very afraid that we used the water syringe for the insulin and I'm feeling sick about it.

How bad is this???? The used needle was not in contact with anything but water but I'm worried that the remaining insulin is now contaminated. Can I use it tomorrow morning or should I skip the AM shot and get more from the vet tomorrow? Help...

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Got any isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol)? You could run a bit of that through the syringe and then let it air dry. Not perfect, but better than nothing. Does your state require a prescription for syringes or can you get them from any pharmacy? (Ohio doesn't require an Rx.)

3. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

If I were in your shoes I wouldn't worry about it. I'd go ahead and use it in the morning. However, I would keep an eye on the vial of insulin. If the insulin becomes discolored or looks unusual I would discard it.

If you're still concerned you could skip the shot and call your vet to ask his opinion in the morning...

4. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

I think that probably the insulin is OK, but if his numbers start to get wonky, it's definitely time to replace it.

I know you have to "Roll" ProZinc, but before you do, check that the clear part is still clear and doesn't look any different than it should

5. Mitzelplik's Mom

Mitzelplik's Mom Member

Hi BJM, thanks for responding. I have plenty of new syringes and I'm not trying to re-sterilise a used syringe. The issue is that I'm pretty sure the syringe that I used tonight to give Mitz's shot was not sterile. So a non-sterile needle was inserted into the insulin vial (not to mention Mitz). Can I still use this vial of insulin in the morning or has it now been contaminated?

6. Mitzelplik's Mom

Mitzelplik's Mom Member

Thanks Jill and Chris! There's only about a 1/4 of the vial left so I was planning to get a fresh one for the sitter anyway.

7. Oreo's human

Oreo's human Member

Our vet actually suggested we can use our needles 2/3 times. In reality, once opened they are not sterile. It should be fine and I use a lot of sterile equipment at my job.

8. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Yikes!
    Take a look at a picture of what the needle looks like on a re-used syringe:

[​IMG]

9. Mitzelplik's Mom

Mitzelplik's Mom Member

Wow, really?! I wouldn't want to do that intentionally, but that is somewhat re-assuring.

10. Oreo's human

Oreo's human Member

well he did want us to clean it with alcohol after each shot. But once open it is not sterile FYI I don't think the magnification on those 3 needle shots is the same. Look at the size of the gage on the needle. It is drastically blown up in the third picture.

11. Lori & Lulu

Lori & Lulu Well-Known Member

Regardless of the pictures, I agree with Jill. When I was in nursing school, we were taught never to poke into a vial more than once, because each time a needle is inserted into a substance, it becomes duller and thus more uncomfortable for the patient receiving the meds. I wouldn`t use a needle twice. Just my .02.

Jill & Alex (GA) likes this.
  12. manxcat419

manxcat419 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't re-use a syringe deliberately (mostly because I worry about things like the needle bending or breaking if I use those tiny needles more than once) but I think in this case, as others have said, unless the insulin starts looking "wrong" or doesn't seem to be working as it should, I'd continue using it. As far as having injected Mitz with a syringe that might not have been fresh out of the package, I don't think I'd worry about it too much - by the time we've unwrapped a syringe, drawn the dose with it, put it down while we catch the cat etc, I doubt it's completely sterile anyway. I caught my own finger with the tip of the needle a couple of times and more than once caught Rosa, got the cap off the needle then put the syringe down on the desk uncapped for a few seconds because she wriggled a bit, and still went ahead and injected her with her dose - I figured it's not as much of a risk with a sub-q shot as it would be if I was going direct into a blood vessel with it. Probably not the ideal thing to do, but it didn't seem to do her any harm.

13. Oreo's human

Oreo's human Member

I do completely agree with the dull needle and the bending that is mancat419 's concern. We have reused them but O seems to notice it more and that is the big reason we don't if we can avoid it.

manxcat419 likes this.
  14. Mitzelplik's Mom

Mitzelplik's Mom Member

Thanks April! This makes me feel better. The insulin looked like it always does this morning so hopefully no harm done.

manxcat419 likes this.
  15. Blamethecats and Hannah

Blamethecats and Hannah Member

I agree. DH wanted me to re-use the disposable needles we used for Hannah and I absolutely could not talk him out of it. At that time, he was the one giving the shots, so we proceeded. After use, I wiped the needle and the top of the insulin bottle with alcohol. After only two injections, it became VERY apparent to DH that the needle had dulled considerably, as Hannah was obviously feeling discomfort and jerking when the needle was inserted. That's all it took to get the re-use notion out of his head... thank goodness!

16. Maggies Mom Debby

Maggies Mom Debby Well-Known Member

The syringes are the cheapest part of this whole thing, so why reuse unless you are in a bind?

17. Blamethecats and Hannah

Exactly. Tried to explain that to DH, but might as well have been talking to the wall. He muttered something about disposable stuff not being environmentally friendly, cutting down on waste, etc. o_O There's no arguing with him. He's one of those people who needs to find out for himself... and he certainly did!

18. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Well, there's always purchasing an autoclave and glass and metal syringes that can be re-used. And those come in very small sizes, too.

19. Blamethecats and Hannah

BJ, I hope you intended that to be funny, as it gave me a really good laugh. Not even going to mention that one to DH. :smuggrin: Not gonna happen!

20. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

It was intended to be funny! But, for the really obsessive person with a big budget, it could be done. My budget is not that big, so it ain't gonna happen here!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.