Post Dental Behaviour

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Dana & Lily (GA), Feb 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dana & Lily (GA)

Dana & Lily (GA) Member

Purrcilla had her first dental cleaning and had 2 extractions on Friday and I am wondering if it is common for them to sleep a lot when they get home. At first all she wanted to do was eat, eat, eat! She looked great. Then the next morning I could see that her pain meds were wearing off and so was relieved when noon came around for me to give her her 1/2 pill (Tolfedine). After that, she just basically slept the afternoon and looked progressively worse. Then she threw up a bunch of watery stuff all over the rug and floor. She looked a bit better and had a few bites of food then basically slept again. This morning she hasn't really eaten more than a few bites and I found her sleeping in my closet curled up in a ball and she barely lifts her head when I pet it. I am glad I am home today to watch over her, but am really hoping she improves when I have to go to work tomorrow.

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

It is not unusual for cats to sleep a lot after anesthesia. Tolfedine is a NSAID and one of the side effect is: Gastro-intestinal intolerance which is generally reversible upon withdrawal of the drug. I would not give anymore of it and call the vet if she does not improve.

3. Dana & Lily (GA)

Dana & Lily (GA) Member

but if I don't give her any of it today then she has no pain med for today (being Sunday) and that worries me. I think I'll try it again today and see if I get the same reaction. If so, then I'll call the vet first thing tomorrow when they open and see what they say. THey gave Tolfedine because I expressed concerns about Metacam and not wanting them to give that.

4. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

buprenex seems to be the pain med of choice for dentals.

5. Dana & Lily (GA)

Dana & Lily (GA) Member

I don't know what that is....do you only get it from a vet? What dosage is usually given?

On a positive note....Purrcilla is up and around now and has eaten food and looks much better.

6. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I do not think that Tolfedine is is any better than Metacam. Both are NSIADs. A site for Tolfedine says:

Treated animal should be monitored for the occurrence of side effects. Adverse reactions considered typical of NSAIDs include gastro-intestinal ulceration, renal toxicity and hematological abnormalities. NSAIDs present a greater risk in animals under 6 weeks of age or in aged, debilitated or sick animals. Tolfedine should be used with caution in these cases; careful clinical monitoring is advised.

Tolfidine is not available in the USA.

7. Dana & Lily (GA)

Dana & Lily (GA) Member

oh, that doesn't sound very good, but there are risks with all drugs, right? OK...I'm going to watch closely today to see if it happens again (maybe it wasn't due to the meds yesterday) and if so, I won't give her any more and call the vet and ask about Bup instead. Thanks for the advice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.