POST Hypo Day for Boo

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by cmcd65, Jun 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cmcd65

cmcd65 Member

Hi... I'm carla.... new to all this. Started home testing today.

Just did a test and had a very small, probably insignificant amount of blood. Could it give me a wrong reading???? Because it just said 53.

My cat is acting normal, playing with ribbons, eating, etc. Please tell me the 53 could be a mistake because there wasn't enough blood on the strip to get an accurate reading!!

Carla

2. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

Re: Trying not to panic... anyone out there?

can you get another test in...just to double check? Also how long after her shot was did you get that 53?

Mel, Maxwell and The Fur Gang

3. cmcd65

cmcd65 Member

+4

4. cmcd65

cmcd65 Member

I'm having trouble getting a spot to bubble up and she's getting very frustrated with me. Not sure how many more changes I have. I'm sweating bullets.

5. MommaOfMuse

You not dangerously low yet but you still have a couple more hours before you should be hitting her nadir...If you can get another test and come back and post the number. I'd like to make sure you got a true reading and she isn't dropping farther...Got Karo syrup in the house?

Mel, Maxwell and The Fur Gang.

6. MommaOfMuse

Try to stay calm, the calmer you are the better if you start freaking out Boo is going to pick up on your emotions....Your the momma, you can do this, but you maybe about to get a trial by fire on home testing.

Mel, Maxwell and the Fur Gang

7. cmcd65

cmcd65 Member

Yes, I do....

Please tell me.... is it possible to get a false reading with insignificant amount of blood? My vet told me it was. It will make me feel a whole lot better if that is the case.

Carla

8. MommaOfMuse

Its possible but depends on the meter, mine will just give me an error message. But when in doubt it is always better to double check. Hypo can come on fairly quickly.

I don't want to scare you, but I do want to make sure Boo is safe tonight...I'll stay with you, I promise. Already sent the hubby on to bed, so I'll be here with you aslong as it takes to make sure your baby girl is alright.

(Mel, Maxwell and The Fur Gang.

9. nancy and payne

nancy and payne Well-Known Member

Usually the meter will give you an error message if you don't have enough blood. What kind of insulin are you using? how much did you shoot?

DON'T PANIC! you can do this. Is anyone there with you? you need to test again, you NEED to know if she is still going down, do you have karo syrup? You will be all right, there are people here to help you.

Nancy and Payne

10. MommaOfMuse

Good to see you Nancy

I believe she is on Lantus...she shot 4.5u about 4 hours ago so we have a few hours to go before nadir

11. Just-As-Appy

Just-As-Appy Member

On my metre, if there isn't enough blood it gives me an error message. Your metre may work differently, but I'm kind of a chicken and would rather get another drop of blood and know for sure that it was a bad reading. If you test again and it is still low, you can follow the hypo instructions and save yourself an emergency vet visit. Breathe. You'll get lots of help with this.

12. cmcd65

cmcd65 Member

i don't know where my last post went.

The meter just read 43, but i got even less blbood in it this time. I just can't get a good sample.

Please tell me what to look for! If I weren't testing, I would not be even slightly concerned. She looks pretty normal.

Lantus:
    BG was 243
    Gave 4.5
    Now at +4.5

I feel sick.

13. MommaOfMuse

These are the signs of hypo

SYMPTOMS
    Some cats may have NO symptoms whatsoever, but here are the most common ones:

MILD HYPOGLYCEMIA
    Sudden ravenous hunger
    Shivering
    Weak or lethargic

MODERATE HYPOGLYCEMIA
    Disorientation
    Trouble with vision... bumps into furniture
    Poor coordination, such as staggering, walking in circles or acting drunk
    Changes in head or neck movements
    Restlessness
    Urgent meowing
    Behavioral changes, such as aggressiveness

SEVERE HYPOGLYCEMIA
    Convulsions or seizures
    Unconsciousness

TREATMENT

During treatment for hypoglycemia, try to test every 15 minutes until you see the bgs begin to rise. Then continue to test until you are satisfied that the cat is out of danger.

VERY LOW NUMBERS – WITHOUT SYMPTOMS
    Retest glucose using a large blood sample to make certain you have enough blood, and if you still get a very low number (under 40 mg/dL or 1.9 – 2.2 mmol/L) administer a tablespoon of corn syrup, liquid glucose, pancake syrup or honey, or INSTA-GLUCOSE and follow with food until the blood glucose numbers rise to acceptable levels. The syrup can be mixed with wet food or poured over dry if the cat will eat the mixture. If using liquid glucose, dilute with water for a thinner consistency.

LOW NUMBERS – WITHOUT SYMPTOMS
    Retest glucose using a large blood sample to make certain you have enough blood, and if you still get a low number (40 – 60mg/dL or 2.2 – 3.3mmol/L) give food or treats until the blood glucose numbers rise to an acceptable level. If the cat refuses to eat even his/her favorite foods, you can syringe feed or administer a small amount of syrup.

LOW NUMBERS – MILD SYMPTOMS
    Try feeding first or give a little syrup or honey followed by food until the blood glucose numbers rise to an acceptable level and the symptoms disappear. The syrup can be mixed with wet food or poured over dry if the cat will eat the mixture. If the cat will not eat, syringe feed. If your cat will eat dry, feed this first as the high carbs will help to increase his/her bgs quickly. You can then follow with his/her favorite canned food. Keep in mind that giving syrup (Karo, etc.) or honey is not enough because the effects wear off quickly. You need to follow with food.
    IF IN ANY DOUBT, TELEPHONE YOUR VETERINARIAN.

That 43 has me concerned.
    Can you try either the other ear or the paw pad...if you go for the pad, you want the big one...non-weight bearing. and you may want to get the karo syrup ready

Mel, maxwell & The Fur Gang

14. Just-As-Appy

Just-As-Appy Member

What about high carb food? Fancy Feast with gravy?

15. MommaOfMuse

You may want to go back when you have second and change the title of this thread to Possible Hypo and stick a 911 on it so the night shift people will jump in. To change it go to your first post hit the edit button.

Sorry hon, but you may be in for a long night...but we will stay with you...just breathe, we will walk you through.

Mel

16. nancy and payne

Add Lantus to you subject

17. cmcd65

cmcd65 Member

it just reaad 38. I put karo on her gums and she is eating dry food right now. should i take her to the emergency clinic?

18. MommaOfMuse

Not just yet, we can talk you through as long as she is eating the dry will help bring her numbers up...I'm going to go cross post on Lantus board for you and see if e can get you some more experienced eyes..how far past shot are we?
    Hope you have lots of stips you are about to become a pro at home testing.

Mel.

19. cmcd65

cmcd65 Member

Re: 911 possible hypo... Lantus

We are at +5 and she ate dry food and some regular treats. She is acting completely normal.

20. MommaOfMuse

Nancy and I have cross posted for you hon, help is on its way and we will stay rigt here with you, but you are going to need to test right now about every 15 mins until her numbers start to rise. I just refilled the caffine, so I'm good to go.

Mel

21. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Dry takes a while to have an effect. Add a couple of drops of Karo to canned food (unless you have high carb canned food in the house). Please re-test in no more than 20 min.

22. nancy and payne

You have lot's of people here with you, you can do this .....

23. cmcd65

cmcd65 Member

Thank you... before I stick her again..... any tips for getting a larger pooling of blood? I want to make each stick count.

I am trying to hit the spot near the edge of her ear..... maybe I shouldn't have gotten such fine lancets. I am warming her ear up by rubbing and trying to get a sample from the hairy side of her ear like I saw on the video... should I instead be shooting for the veins on the inside of the ear?

24. MommaOfMuse

We've got you, we aren't going to let anything happen to Boo.

We will stay up all night if we have too.

Mel

25. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

26. cmcd65

cmcd65 Member

?? When I click on the link above it is about buying cars!!

27. nancy and payne

Carla, you need to warm her ear, can you make up a quick rick sock? put some rice in a sock, then put it in the microwave for about 20 seconds and leave it on her ear a full minute .... that will really help!
    Nancy

28. MommaOfMuse

Even in a pinch soak a wash cloth in water and throw that in the microwave, heat for about 20 seconds and stick it in plastic bag....anything to get her ear good and warm

Mel

29. cmcd65

cmcd65 Member

Just got a really good sample. Read 43, so it's coming up.

More Karo?

30. MommaOfMuse

Karo will raise her quickly but it won't last long, we need to bring her up with food...Any chance you have some high carb canned food like something in gravy?

Your still going to need to keep testing she isn't out of the woods yet. we need to get her up further.

Mel

31. Christie & Willie (GA)

Christie & Willie (GA) Well-Known Member

I'd mix a couple drops into 1/2 tsp or so of low carb food. Don't give too much more food than that as you don't want her getting too full should you need her to eat more in a bit. You're doing great... just keep hanging in there! We're dealing with low numbers over here tonight as well.... you're not alone!!

32. CD and BigMac

CD and BigMac Well-Known Member

33. nancy and payne

Carla, how you doing? how is Boo? what do you need?

34. cmcd65

cmcd65 Member

I'm about to test again... just made a rice sock... she is sitting here looking at me.

be back in a minute....
    Carla

35. cmcd65

cmcd65 Member

she's drinking LOTS of water

36. cmcd65

cmcd65 Member

SO, we are now a little past +5.5. She is becoming a little more active. Walking around... just used the litter box

Should I continue testing every 15 minutes?

I can't thank you all enough for helping me through this.

37. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Well Mel ( mommaofmuse) is busy seeing to it you have company tonight. i'm in california so still pretty early here.
    i have to go back and see what you shot. and how fast your coming down. i see the lantus folks are here so i KNOW your gonna be good.
    Lori

38. MommaOfMuse

Yes, you may be testing for quite awhile tonight...Lantus is long lasting insulin, it may be up to 16 hours, but we will be with you al night eve if we have to tag team it.

Lori she shot 4.5 units! Boo is still on dry food.

Mel

39. Christie & Willie (GA)

Christie & Willie (GA) Well-Known Member

I'd go with another small amount of food (1/2 tsp or so) laced with 3-4 drops of karo again. We need to keep pulling those numbers up.

I would keep testing until you see numbers in the 60s, and where you're seeing at least 2 back to back rising numbers.

And you are doing great! I can still remember our first low numbers and how stressed out I was!! It gets easier, I promise! :) My response to Willie's 37 tonight bordered on leisurely! :lol: :lol: :lol: (though, there was still an "OH CRAP!!!" thrown in for good measure!!)

40. MommaOfMuse

Well this is one way to learn to home test...not the best way, but definitely one of the quickest.

Mel

41. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

well that is a high dose...and he's not exactly crashing, so i am hopeful this will not get very eventful.
    so much was written...is there gravy high carb wet food around?
    if not, bread soaked in milk with a bit of honey is good. we've used that before for a longer acting boost.

42. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

another lantus newbie got his very first test in at +12 and it was 36 :shock: so we have been seeing some wild first tests.

43. nancy and payne

How are you doing Carla? still hanging in there? you now have a LARGE group with you and we will stay as long as you need us.
    Nancy

44. cmcd65

cmcd65 Member

Ok, I just tested again... got another 45. I rubbed a little more Karo and put some food I found in the pantry in her dish. It is Science Diet Light dry.

Here is a SUMMARY for those kind enough to help me through this:

I am on Central Standard Time btw.

6:30 p.m. Gave 4.5 units Lantus
    6:50 p.m. Administered my first successful Home BG test. It was 243
    10:30 (+4). Reading 53
    11:00 (+4.5) Reading 43
    11:15ish (+4.75) Reading 34
    Gave Corn Syrup... Had her eat some high(er) carb dry food (Royal Canine Urinary s/o)
    11:45 (+5.25) Reading 43
    12:00 (+6) Reading 45
    12:15 (+6.25) Reading 45
    Gave a little more corn syrup and she ate some Science Diet Light dry food.... drank a lot of water... peed in box

That's where we are.

Should I keep 15 minute readings????
    Carla

45. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

it must be +6 by now.
    carla how long have you been shooting 4.5?
    how long has kitty been diabetic?

46. MommaOfMuse

Yep you are going to need to keep testing until we get her into the 60s for a couple of test.

Mel

47. cmcd65

cmcd65 Member

Oh, and I'm so sorry, I keep forgetting to answer this question:

I have some higher carb wet food in the house for my other cats, but Boo will not touch the stuff. I have not gotten her over to wet food yet.

Carla

48. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

i think you can wait a half hour.
    let her ear rest.
    sounds like you've gotten a lot of sugar into her.
    i think i'd stop with the syrups for now.

49. cmcd65

cmcd65 Member

She was diagnosed May 23.

first week: 1 unit twice daily
    second week: 2 units twice daily
    third week: 3 unites twice daily
    last week: 4 units twice daily
    this week (starting Monday): 5 units twice daily, but I measured out at 4.5 because 5 scared me.

50. MommaOfMuse

Carla you are in good hands right now, so I'm going to bow out for a couple of hours of shut eye, but will be back early in the morning to check on you. I'm on CST too, and morning for me starts at 5:30 am, So I'll be back in a few hours.

You can do this and you have plenty of good ladies here now to hold your hand and paw. You are doing a great job.

Hang in there hon.

Mel

51. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

so have you been shooting this dose for a month now?

52. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

oh, i just read the progression.

53. MommaOfMuse

Lori this is the first dose at this level, vet has been increasing by whole units every week

Mel

54. cmcd65

cmcd65 Member

Mel, you are a saint. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. Please get some rest!!!

Lori, no, I'm sorry, i probably wasn't very clear. I'm a little bumfuggled.

The vet gave her 5 units yesterday morning. Her Nadir (?) was at +6 and it was 100.
    I gave her a little less than 5 units last night (because it was a little earlier than 12 hours after her morning shot)

Then this morning I gave her a little under 5
    And tonight I gave her closer to 4.5 because 5 scared me

I'm glad I didn't give the entire 5.

SO, she has only been on this increased dosage for 2 days.
    Last week she was on 4 units twice a day.

55. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

carla, when tonight is all over...let's set up a spread sheet like we all have...see below. tomtom's spread sheet.
    and perhaps start off at a reduced dose and start tracking her numbers.
    i think/hope this will go smoothly tonight.
    ((((hugs)))))

56. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

if you want to lay down for awhile i can call you to stir you awake in 1/2 hour.

57. nancy and payne

Carla are you okay, do you need to sleep? Lori would call you for the next test, just PM her your phone number. Nancy

58. cmcd65

cmcd65 Member

Lori, that is so sweet of you.. I'm afraid I'm wide awake.

I just took a reading and it's back up to 52 (at almost +6.5).

Let her rest for 1/2 hour, or try to get her to eat more? I'm afraid if she eats much more she will get sick!

Carla

59. MommaOfMuse

Carla it was my pleasure to be here tonight for you....That is just what we do here, and if I could still see the keyboard I would stay too. But I know you are in great hands with Lori and Nancy, if I didn't think so I wouldn't leave you. =)

I'll be back to check in on you in a few hours.

Nighters all

Mel

60. cmcd65

cmcd65 Member

So the GOOD news is, I am pretty good at testing now. :)
    The bad news is, when Boo is at her ideal number, she probably won't be so passive about letting me poke around on her. :(

61. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

ni ni mel...sweet dreams...or, not quite so sweet. :lol:

62. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

carla maybe cut the syrup and let her free feed the kibble.
    don't want to stuff her in case she needs food in an hour.
    nice slow climb...
    test in half hour k?

63. cmcd65

cmcd65 Member

Thanks Lori. I haven't given her syrup in the last 45 minutes. She is awake and laying in the hall.

Any tips on how I can minimize her ear pain? She's been stuck WAY too many times tonight.

Thanks so much....
    Carla

64. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

well, so you have an neosporin in the house? you could rub that on her ear. also press firmly on her ear with a cotton ball after you get the blood for a quick heal.
    she'll be fine.
    make sure you add pressure to the poke spot after you get blood.
    you are SUCH the VAMPIRE now!

65. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

btw, tom is ogling boo...he thinks she is super cute.

66. cmcd65

cmcd65 Member

I do have some neosporin. Will try to put some on her. Thanks. It's kind of incredible that she has not been running from me tonight when she sees me coming with my kit of sharp objects that poke her. I wonder if she might have been a little disoriented with the low numbers? She's been WAY more cooperative than she usually is by nature.

Thanks heavens for small miracles, I suppose.
    :D

Carla

67. cmcd65

cmcd65 Member

:D Tom is a cutie. I have a black n white kitty too... named Paulie Walnuts.

68. nancy and payne

Thank goodness you started testing! Yes, but not the way you wanted to learn!! Our sugar kitties learn that when we test, they get a treat and they know we are helping them, like Boo knows you are helping now. If anything we get closer to our sugar kits. You will need to go visit the insulin support group Lantus and have them help you with dosing.

You can try changing ears or putting on Neosporin (ointment) after, that will help the pain. If you use a cotton ball or kleenex inside the ear, then use that to hold the ear when you use the lancet, after you get the blood, then hold the ear with the cotton ball (or) for a few moments, that will help.

69. cmcd65

cmcd65 Member

You bring up an excellent point, Nancy. What the heck do I do tomorrow with dosing??? My vet doesn't open until 8.... I will have to go to work about that time. After tonight, I don't feel good at ALL about giving her a shot and leaving the house.... no matter WHAT the dosage!

Hmmmmmmmm

70. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

carla, you may or likely will have a high number in the am...part due to bounce from the low. and part due to all the carbs she's getting tonight...and sugar.
    don't, do not respond to a high number.
    if you do have a shootable number i'd start all over at 1 unit.

71. cmcd65

cmcd65 Member

I'm not sure what you mean by a shootable number.... Over 200?

72. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

i'm thinking over 150...1 unit.
    but lantus is not my insulin...maybe in the morning you could post in the lantus room.. how busy are your mornings..do you rush off to work?

73. nancy and payne

Has Boo had ketones? any other problems? The Lantus people will want you to go back to square one, at 1u.
    I would post in Lantus now and ask what you should dose in the AM, I don't see anyone here now from Lantus, if there is, could you chime in.

The Lantus people have some early people who will be able to advise you but I'm not sure you want to give her a shot in the AM then leave .... but I use another insulin, what do you think Lori?
    Nancy

74. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

always let anyone your posting to know you are feeding dry kibble. it matters..ok?

75. nancy and payne

Yes, thank G --! you hadn't changed over to canned .... that would have been a REAL problem! How is Boo?

76. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

seems like it's time for a test huh?

77. cmcd65

cmcd65 Member

Just posted on Lantus.... going to test.... be right back.

xo
    Carla

78. cmcd65

cmcd65 Member

Just tested: 55

79. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

well you up for awhile? are you ok? i think you will be giving half hour tests until you get 60.

80. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

is boo awake, interested in any eatting?

81. cmcd65

cmcd65 Member

I am awake. 15 minutes ago when I tested her, she got up and ate a little more high(er) carb dry food. She is now laying in the bathroom floor looking really tired and wanting to fall asleep.

82. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

i'm glad your still zippy...i'm shutting down. i think you can handle the rest of this, you think?

83. cmcd65

cmcd65 Member

I'm not sure what keytones are... the only problem Boo has had recently is bladder stones. She had surgery several months ago.

If you guys need to sleep, please do.... I'm awake... I promise. You all have been soooo nice. Thank you a million times.

xo
    Carla

84. nancy and payne

Carla, you okay? You really need for him to hit 60 .... sorry. Although he seems to be doing good, it was a good post in Lantus .... they have a bunch of Easterners so they should get to you early for advise. Do you want me to stay? are you okay?
    Nancy

85. cmcd65

cmcd65 Member

I'm ok, Nancy. Thank you so much. Please get some sleep!! I'll keep hitting my half hour tests until her numbers get above 60 twice. Then I have a bigger decision in the morning (or in a few hours, actually).

Thank you again! Everyone!!
    Carla

86. nancy and payne

Okay, I'll check on you in the AM .... I need to go into SF to work in the morning but I'll be sending out good vibes to you and Boo. You have been a great bean! (what our kits call us :) and you showed great strength tonight, you should be proud!! Boo thanks you for learning to test (well, maybe not in this way :) and it will give YOU power! In time you will be able to KNOW the dose Boo needs and take care of him yourself. You know that dry food is like crack for a diabetic cat .... but don't change until you get your dose down because changing over to canned, can drop your numbers down by 100 points sometimes! Good job Carla!

Nancy and Payne
    (who has her own war stories :)

87. cmcd65

cmcd65 Member

Nancy, thank you, and I'll have to take your word for it at this point because I feel completely overwhelmed and confused as so the best way to treat my baby Boo.

Baby steps.

Last Test:
    2:15 a.m. 57

Getting closer.

Thanks again.
    Carla

88. nancy and payne

You are tired, that's all .... trust me you've done well, really well. Try not to over-think it tonight you have just been through a big ordeal .... tomorrow decisions can be made, try and get some sleep when you hit the magic number! You will be fine and it's good you don't know what ketones are but you will need to learn, you are up to it, really. ((((Carla/Boo)))) hugs and good wishes! Nancy

89. cmcd65

cmcd65 Member

3 a.m. = 65
    FINALLY.

Gonna try to nap. Poor Boo. She is OVER me right now.

THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Carla

90. MommaOfMuse

Morning Hon, just checking in with you guys as promised...How we doing this morning?

91. cmcd65

cmcd65 Member

Good Morning, Mel. We survived. I have not tested Boo yet this morning.... literally just woke up and walked in here.

I feel sick at my stomach at the thought of sticking her again, but I know I have to.

I'm going to check the Lantus board before doing anything.

I hope you got a few hours sleep. Thank you so much for your support.

Thank you to EVERYONE who helped me through last night!
    xo
    Carla and Boo

92. cmcd65

cmcd65 Member

Just tested Boo.

At 6:26 a.m. (almost +12), her BG is 173.

Carla

93. MommaOfMuse

Aww shucks that is what we are hear for, and yeah I got a couple hours of sleep, and lucky for me I can go crawl back in bed here in a little bit after I get the Fur Gang fed, and litter boxes scooped.

Checking with the Lantus folks is a good idea, they can help you out a lot. And Hey, after this Saturday you will get to see me over there too.. ohmygod_smile As I'm picking up my newly adopted sugarkitty, Musette. So we can be kind of newbie buddies...lol.

Glad you and Boo made it through the night, and yeah I understand not wanting to stick her again, but now you see how important it is, and well now you are a pro so it will get easier, and with the very capable hands over in Lantus Land, hopefully you will never have to poke her that much again.

Give Boo scritched for me. :D

94. MommaOfMuse

Nice number for a +12, you may have earned a morning off from a shot, or at least a very big dose reduction, but I will leave that to the folks over in Lantus ISG...They will guide you very well.

95. cmcd65

cmcd65 Member

8:20 a.m. = 201
    Ate a tad of dry food after the test
    8:30 a.m. Gave 1 unit
    She ate some dry food immediately after the shot too
    +1 = 202
    Ate a little more dry food after the test.

I'm hoping there is not sharp drop today. I feel very good about my decision to stay home from work. I would feel like I were flying blind with no numbers for 8 hours.

Thank you all so much. I hope I can repay your kindness some day.
    Carla (and Boo)

96. Julia & Bandit (GA)

Julia & Bandit (GA) Well-Known Member

Wow, just logged on this morning and saw this. You did wonderful Carla, and it looks like you started testing at exactly the right time for Boo. I can't believe how many close calls like this have shown up lately--I am convinced some owners have a sixth sense that something just isn't right.

Carla, you can read about ketones here: http://www.felinediabetes.com/ketones.htm. Chances are if your vet didn't mention them then Boo doesn't have them, but you always want to be safe. You can pick up the testing strips (ketostix or ketodiastix) at any pharmacy. You do need a urine sample for it...most people just stick it in the stream while their cat is going #1, or they use non absorbent litter, or put saran wrap over the litter. With Gabby I stuck a shallow plastic dish in her regular spot in box, and Bandit would pee on demand whenever he thought he was getting a bath. I now have the breeze litter box: http://www.breezeforcats.com/?DCMP=...breeze for cats&HBX_OU=50&D=4500582&T=6034297 which would be great for getting urine samples since it has a tray that collects the urine. I love it.

Your vet did not raise Boo's dose correctly, and I can't even tell you how incredibly common this is. Lantus doses for cats are supposed to be raised in .25u=.5u increments or you get into overdose territory. And too much insulin looks just like too little insulin because of high rebound numbers at the vets office, so they keep raising the dose until the poor cat hypos. :sad:

97. MommaOfMuse

Just waking back up...glad you went with 1u today it is so much easier to slowly raise the dose until we find her perfect dose than go through what we went through last night.

98. cmcd65

cmcd65 Member

Regarding vets.... I have known mine for 25 years.... he is married to my best friend from high school. I try not to take advantage of knowing his cell number ( :smile: ), but it's nice to know I can always get in touch with him.

He was VERY supportive when I told him Monday (Omg, was that just 2 days ago??) that I was going to begin home testing. Boo is a very nervy cat and it's a 30 minute car ride from my house to clinic. She was amped up by the time she got there and I'm sure his numbers were inflated because of it.

When I texted him this morning (it's his day off), he wanted me to send readings every time I took them and he has responded with questions and concerns. I feel he is on board completely.... just maybe not as hands on with this stuff as you guys are. So I have the best of both worlds. As a vet, his primary concern isn't her diet, but it should be. I will try to keep him updated on Boo's progress as I switch her to wet food (she says with confidence) so hopefully he can help other clients going through the same thing.

I don't like that her +2 is 176 this morning. I know that's not a dangerously low number, but she has a ways to go before her Nadir (sp?) at +6. I'll keep at it.

Thanks again so much, and I apologize if I have spoken jibberish or posted the same info twice... between here and teh Lantus Forum, I've been doing a lot of posting. :)

xoxoxo
    Carla

99. nancy and payne

Good morning Carla and of course, Boo! I see where the Lantus people are taking good care of you, I knew they would .... they will advise you every step of the way. You have made so much progress, so quickly! baptism by fire! Give Boo a big hug and kiss for all of us and you need to sleep some today, I am glad you are staying home.

I will be leaving SF soon, stupid stock market!! some days are like that .... I will check in when I get home but wanted you to know I thought you did great last night! Now you are on the road to getting Boo healthy!

Nancy and Payne

100. nancy and payne

Also Carla would you go back and take the 911 off this thread .... I forgot to do that with the LL one and I got yelled at, then locked up! You may want to start a new thread if you want or just stay with the Lantus one.
    Nancy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.