POST Hypo Day for Boo

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by cmcd65, Jun 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cmcd65

cmcd65 Member

Thank you, Nancy... I'm sorry you got yelled at!!!! :eek:

I started a new thread on the Lantus Forum.

Carla

2. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

Carla,

I just sent you a little visual encouragemet in a Private message (PM) just look up at the top it should say 1 new message, click that...It is a couple of pictures of my Maxwell. From when we started this sugar dance to where we are today 8 months later. My vet now teases me that Maxwell is a poster child for how much a diabetic cat can turn around. :lol:

Mel, Maxwell and The Fur Gang

3. Julia & Bandit (GA)

Julia & Bandit (GA) Well-Known Member

I don't mean to imply your vet isn't a good one--Bandit's old vet got everything right (the switch to a commercial wet diet, Lantus, home testing, a slow starting dose), but she tried to get me to raise his dose exactly how your vet did. Fortunately, I had done some research by the time she wanted to raise to 2u (I'm a librarian and a grad student and I am addicted to researching everything), and found the Queensland Protocol. I ended up coming to this site because it was the only place a found that had people actively familiar with it.

Vets have to treat every disease for every animal, so it's not reasonable to expect them to be experts at everything. In my opinion, a good vet is one that is willing to change their practice when new information is brought to them, and a bad vet is one that insists on keeping their current practice because of ego, money, or laziness. It sounds like yours definitely falls into the first category!

4. cmcd65

cmcd65 Member

Julia, I did not interpret your post as a slam to my vet at ALL. We are all doing the best we can with the info we have. I'm just glad I now have a wealth of info here from which to draw the most informed conclusion/decisions.

I'm getting a speedy education.

:smile:
    Carla

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hi Carla...I see my very last post to you last night did'nt show! I was in bed and so sleepy I must not of hit 'submit' hard enough.
    Your posting in Lantus now, yes? I'll look for you there.
    Lori
    and Tom
    or
    Mom to Tom

6. cmcd65

cmcd65 Member

Hello Sweet peeps.

Just wanted to check in. Here is what the 1 unit (Lantus) I gave Boo today behaved like:

AMPS 201
    +1 202
    +2 176
    +3 262
    +5 374
    +10 370

After +3, she didn't eat a whole lot... slept mostly. So I guess that might be why the bounce leveled out a little?

My vet has suggested 2 units tonight at 8:30 (+12). I feel ok with that but have asked the LL board to weigh in. Wow, some really helpful folks there. I think my vet is impressed by how much support I've gotten from you all. I am too!

Here's to a boring night. :smile:

I hope you all are doing well................
    Carla

7. nancy and payne

nancy and payne Well-Known Member

You had a good day Carla and yes, Boo will be tired also .... you have gotten great advice over in LL, they are a great bunch of people! I told you it would be better today :roll: but I hope you took care of yourself, got some sleep, etc. I will be following you and if you ever need anything, just let me know. Check her ketones, especially with the insulin drop, you don't EVER want to go through DKA!! ever .... As you can see my Payne is prone to ketones and has been in DKA 4x .... Nancy

8. cmcd65

cmcd65 Member

Nancy, is there a link you recommend that I can read about Ketones? I know NOTHING about it. My education is coming FAST.

Thanks for your help........
    Carla

9. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

10. cmcd65

cmcd65 Member

Thank you, Mel. I just called my vet and asked if Boo had ever been tested for Ketones, and apparently she was tested late May and was negative. That's good to know!!!

Thank you for letting me know what to ask!!!! It's like having someone who is great with cars coaching me through a call with my mechanic!! :smile:

xoxooxoxox
    Carla

11. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

Carla, testing negative back in May for ketones doesn't mean much :roll: Not sure if anyone has mentioned it, but you should buy some KetoStix (tests urine for only ketones) or KetoDiastix (tests urine for ketones and glucose) and keep them on hand. Strips are good for 6 months from time of opening and any time Boo acts off or doesn't feel good it gives you the opportunity to test for ketones. They can pop up quickly. When I adopted Mishka I had asked them to test her urine for ketones on the day I was picking her up. I get there and they told me they didn't bother because she had been negative a week earlier. I get her home on a Monday evening and she is at ER the next a.m. maxed out on ketones and definitely in DKA.

Another good thing to keep on hand is some rich vanilla ice cream. Majority of cats love it and sure can help spike numbers up quickly during a hypo situation until food kicks. Mishka highly recommends it :lol:

12. cmcd65

cmcd65 Member

Good Info, Hope. Thank you. I am reading that I can test blood as well. I might look into getting one of those testing meters today.... if I'm sticking her ear anyway testing BG, I could just as easily test for ketones at the same time. Or am I missing something?? Since I work 2 jobs and am often not home to monitor, catching her at the litter box at just the right time might prove difficult.

Any thoughts on blood vs urine testing?

Carla

13. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

The blood test gives a more immediate level of ketones; urine is always a bit lagged in showing them.

14. nancy and payne

nancy and payne Well-Known Member

Good morning Carla,
    I'm so glad today is a better day! Thank God you don't have meters verses strips in your subject ..... that is a sore subject with many, which is better? and some are quite vocal. ohmygod_smile

My Payne is a very complex cat and to some degree, she always shows ketones. We have done every test, tried every possible thing we could and she still cycles ketones from high to low. MOST cats (diabetic) only give off ketones if they are sick OR if they are not getting enough insulin. It is especially important to check if they have an infection and as Hope says, it can happen quickly that they can go into DKA, a place you NEVER want to be.

I would wait to get a meter until you see if Boo does throw off ketones. There are many ways to catch urine, I haven't had breakfast yet so I won't go into detail but there are a million posts on the subject. But if you feel the need for the meter, get the Precision I have found it to be the most accurate.

The truth is whether you catch ketones by urine or a meter, you have problems .... so where the subject is a heated one :mrgreen: it does boil down to either way, it is not good .... (when I first came on the list I by mistake started the urine verses meter war, that was my trial by blood) ohmygod_smile

I'm still at work, this has taken forever so I will post, you are being taken good care of in LL .... they are good people and will guide you well. Although I will tag along also. :) The weight loss the first few weeks is normal (how much weight can you lose WATCHING a cat????) Mine came from living in ER for 10 days with Payne and eating hospital food, you never want DKA!

Nancy and Payne
    (who is hiding doesn't like hearing DKA :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.