Post pradial food spikes

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Nicole and Napoleon, Apr 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nicole and Napoleon

Nicole and Napoleon Well-Known Member

Just wondering if anyone knows how much of a spike in BG numbers is normal after a meal. Napoleon is on 2.5 units of BCP PZI BID. Just adjusted from 2U to 2.5U a few days ago. The change seems to be working, but I am noticing a spike after eating. He was 200 around 12:00, ate half a can of FF around 1:00 and now I just tested and it was 311? Is this a normal spike? He only gets FF low carb canned. No dry available for him to get into. He gets a full can in the 7:30 morning/shot - half a can at 1:00 or 2:00 and a full can at 7:30 night shot and maybe a tablespoon later on in the night. He weighs 17 pounds so I do know he should lose a little weight, but I don't want to starve him. Any suggestions? Should I maybe just feed twice a day?

2. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

Having the blood sugar go up after eating is normal.

Test yourself sometime -- test before eating and test after eating.
    Test after eating a healthy meal (say one hour after, two hours, maybe three hours)
    Test after eating a monster bowl of ice cream with chocolate syrup (in the interest of science, of course!)

Every cat is different, so it is hard to say an exact number to expect. But definitely --- the cat eats the food -- it is digested in the stomach -- converting the proteins into sugar and the sugar is sent into the blood to feed all the organs and tissues in the body. Insulin is needed to transport the sugar from the blood into the tissues. (please forgive me if this is too simplistic etc)

If there is not enough insulin, the sugar circulates around to the kidneys and is flushed away in the urine. And the poor tissues starve!

3. Nicole and Napoleon

Nicole and Napoleon Well-Known Member

Thank you ;-) I have been paying attention to every minute detail with him. Just hope he regulates soon!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.