potassium help

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Vonalee, Mar 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vonalee

Vonalee New Member

Hi, I'm new & seeking advise for our 16yr cat. She has low potassium & is allergic to the supplement renal K 12. Help please

2. When my cat was diagnosed with low potassium, my vet put potassium in a bag of sub-q fluids and I had to give them to Bob that way. Maybe ask your vet if that's an option? Any potassium treatments must be advised by, and monitored by blood work, by a vet. Excess potassium is just as, if not more, of a problem than low potassium.

3. Vonalee

Vonalee New Member

4. Vonalee

Vonalee New Member

Thanks. The issue is she is allergic to the source of potassium. Fish

5. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

There are other sources of potassium available but likely the best approach for you right now is to use Lactated Ringers SubQ by the vet if you can - let them keep an eye on her potassium levels to be sure she's 1) holding it 2) that it doesn't get too high. Low potassium causes weakness, too high of potassium can affect the heart's ability to beat correctly.

6. Vonalee

Vonalee New Member

Thanks everyone. Our vet is working it out. She is a feline only Dr. So our confidence is high.

7. Vonalee

Vonalee New Member

We just had no idea cats were ever allergic to fish. Go figure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.