power out

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by RemyandAngel, Jun 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RemyandAngel

RemyandAngel New Member

Can anyone tell me what people do for power outages? Short term for storing insulin and long term?
    Thank you

2. Michelle & Prudence

Michelle & Prudence Member

wow, i am guessing to try and not open fridge unless you have to. what type of insulin do you use? i know you don't want to freeze it, so if power doesn't come on for a few hours, i'd put it in a cooler w/ice. i believe the temp shouldn't go below 40 degrees? i hope some other ppl will chime in with advice soon. if you can get it to someone with power (family or friend) i'd do that too. i hope it comes back on soon! did you call your power co. to see what the problem was? maybe try to find out how long it will be before it's up and running again.

3. Marvie and Tugger

Marvie and Tugger Well-Known Member

I asked this a while back, here's the topic, got a few good ideas, you might find what you're looking for there =)

4. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

Lantus can in theory be stored on the counter - not refrigerated. It only has a 4 wk "life" though.

5. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

do what you can to keep it cool for as long as possible.

If it's a matter of hours, leaving in fridge may be ok, or putting in a cool pack with ice cubes, icees, etc.

If we are talking days/weeks, check your surrounding area to see if there are any restaurants, pharmacies around and if they have power - then ask them if you could store your drugs with them. Yes, it's inconvenient, but at least it's being kept cold.

Or even go to store and buy ice - just remember not to let the ice freeze the insulin.

hope this helps.

6. RemyandAngel

RemyandAngel New Member

Thanks for the responses. I use Lantus so its good to know I could leave it on the counter or in a cooler for bit. I live in a rural area and we recently had a tornado scare with many areas of power outages. Although mine was brief some people were without power for over 17hrs. It made me think (my cat has not been diabetic long) that I should have a plan in place.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.