Prayers for Smokey

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Tbarry, Dec 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tbarry

Tbarry Member

He is so stressed and in hiding mode ....I couldn't even get antibiotics in him! He has eaten very little since last night. He is not on insulin yet. I feel like complete failure. My husband tries to help but his parkinsons stops him from helping him much.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
  2. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Please take Smokey to a vet or emergency care. Just not the vet that wanted to start Smokey on 4 units.

3. SidneysMom

SidneysMom Member

You aren’t a failure. Not even close. You are doing your best for Smokey, it’s just a really challenging situation. He really does need his medicine though. I know he is stressed, but I wonder if the hiding is due to illness and not stress. The not eating is worrying me. I would probably say the same thing as the post above-he needs to be seen by someone.
    Sending positive vibes to you both.
    I wish I could say more to help.

4. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

When you are able to get him, I suggest that you keep him confined to a single room. A couple of my cats are like that when they are ill. I keep them in a room where there are very few places they can hide. A bedroom is not ideal since they will always go under the bed and stay out of reach.

Tbarry likes this.
  5. Tbarry

Tbarry Member

What do you think is going on with him? I just got back from the vet. I left my husband home with Smokey. Talked to 4 units partner. Did CBC on Smokey yesterday. Results elevated sugar and cholesterol. Gave me sedative drops and pills instead of antibiotic liquid. Called new vet that was recommended they are trying to fit me in. Emergency doesn't open up until 5. Smokey came out while I was away. He ate very well and allowed my husband to pet and even rub his belly. Smokey and his brother were feral cats. They are both VERY anti social.
    Apparently I am the stressed to Smokey. While I was away he came out for my husband and ate almost a whole 3 oz can of FF pate. How did Sidney do?

6. SidneysMom

SidneysMom Member

Okay, deep breaths! Smokey is obviously VERY in tune with your emotions. Which is good in a way, because it means you have a good bond. I had a kitty like this as well.
    It's really great news that Smokey ate! Fantastic, in fact.
    So what I would do would be to sing. Sing around Smokey. Maybe that sounds silly but it's hard to be anxious when we're singing something we love, even if it's in a terrible tune. If you feel yourself getting anxious, just leave the room. Give Smokey as much space as you can other than antibiotic and feeding time. Be all like, "Smokey, what's up?!" Laugh. Even if it's forced. When I'm stressed to the gills I do a ridiculous dance in my kitchen. I try and get all the stress out.
    This is going to take some time. Step by step, going forward. But don't blame yourself. You are concerned for your fur boy, that's all.

Sid starts insulin tomorrow. We got his meter late yesterday, and my husband is off tomorrow, so we want to get started when we aren't stressed to the gills.
    Honestly, it doesn't help to have to worry about eating, giving antibiotics and insulin and testing. Frankly, it's a bit too much at the moment for me, and I'm sure you are the same way.
    I don't know about Smokey, but even with Sidney being a very genial cat, too much poking, holding and forcing meds is going to get him stressed. We can only do what we can do. But I think being patient and calm will go a long way.
    We are sending good vibes to Smokey!

7. Tbarry

Tbarry Member

Thank you....same to you...will definitely try singing....I am going to try again with antibiotic pill at 4. Will have my husband offer to him in some squeeze up, unless someone suggests something better to put in. I have salmon pill pockets also. (My daughter dropped these off).

8. Tbarry

Tbarry Member

Now I just read the antibiotics they want me to give to him aren't good for him.

9. SidneysMom

SidneysMom Member

Oh no, why not?

10. Tbarry

Tbarry Member

They say they are hard on the GI and elevated the sugar.

11. Tbarry

Tbarry Member

Good thoughts and pray hard. MIGHT be able to squeeze him into new vet tomorrow at 11:30! I have to call at 7:30 to see if appointment is ours. Smokey started to act like he was going to vomit again.

12. SidneysMom

SidneysMom Member

I'm sending all the good thoughts and prayers for a new vet!! <3

Tbarry likes this.
  13. Tbarry

Tbarry Member

Thank you for caring and replying. Finally heard back from new vet that is good with diabetic kitty's. Said he is booked solid tomorrow, but there is 1 what they call a blind appointment that is still open at 11:30. I have to call 7:30 am to try and get...

Red & Rover (GA) and SidneysMom like this.
  14. Tbarry

Tbarry Member

I will be thinking of you and Sidney tomorrow too!

SidneysMom likes this.
  15. SidneysMom

SidneysMom Member

I hope you get the appointment! Let us know how things go. Have you tested Smokey for ketones at all? It might make you feel a little better if you can rule that out. Thanks for the warm wishes. I'm sending lots of hugs to you and Smokey.

16. Tbarry

Tbarry Member

Sorry I was away for a bit, husband let me rest a couple of hours. Yes I did. They were negative.

SidneysMom likes this.
  17. Charlotte and Lucky’s mom

Charlotte and Lucky’s mom Well-Known Member

I haven’t seen your entire background with Smokey but I know that before my cat was on insulin she was hiding a lot and wasn’t herself. I’d get Smokey reassessed ASAP before more complications arise. Sending healing vines for Smokey.

Tbarry likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.