Pre-filling syringes?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by SummerS, Oct 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SummerS

SummerS New Member

Is it ok to pre-fill 2 syringes (and keep in fridge) for my mom who will administer insulin for our diabetic twice this weekend while we are gone overnight? Her dose just changed from what we showed her it should be when she had her "training" on how to do everything, and we just want to be sure she gives the right amount. I told her I could leave her a pic of a correctly filled syringe and that she could text me a pic of the syringe before she shoots for me to approve, but she was curious if I could just leave a couple pre-filled, so thought I would ask if anyone knew if that would be a problem?? Thanks for any info!

Also, thought I would add that she's on Lantus...in case that makes any difference? Thanks :)

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

The manufacturers do not recommend that for Lantus or Levemir since the lubricant in the syringe can effect the insulin.
    One way is to use a colored liquid in a reference syringe drawn up to the correct level. I would glue the syringe plunger in place and cut the end off to help prevent injecting the reference syringe and to help prevent the plunger from being accidentally being moved.

Critter Mom likes this.
  3. SummerS

SummerS New Member

Thanks so much...that is a great idea!

4. baxtermama

baxtermama New Member

I recently went on vacation and pre-filled syringes for a week's worth of doses. Had my mom check his blood before every dosage and nothing seemed out of the ordinary in readings, attitude or appetite.

Both my mom and dad have bad eyesight so I was more worried of them not pulling the right amount of Lantus — didn't see a huge risk with pre-filling them. Worked for us!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.