Pre-Shot 294? 90@+4 with food...Hypo? Support needed!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Beth & Atlas, May 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beth & Atlas

Beth & Atlas Well-Known Member

Hmmm...Atlas doing and feeling better...yes.

So I just did the evening pre-shot test and I have a 294.

His standard last week for the evening shot was

294 today. I've been home all day and he has had a very, very good day. Even had nearly a full cup of the Purina D/M throughout the day.

We only did one mini curve with a reading of 123@4, 146@7 and a PMPS of 446. AMPs the next morning was 425.

He gets 8 units of N. Hmmm.....I need some real good advice here. I'm scared to do the full 8. He has had his dinner about 45 minutes ago, but I don't have any idea of what to cut it too. 4,6, 2? Leave it at 8?

If he is really starting to turn the corner he doesn't need a hypo event. If he is turning the corner his insulin needs could go down, right? As his little body heals from everything else...a drop in insulin should be expected?

2. Beth & Atlas

Re: Pre-Shot 294?

Well with an average preshot of 380 and a new preshot of nearly 100 pts. lower and within the target range ...I did 6 units. :?

3. Beth & Atlas

Re: Pre-Shot 294?

PMps 294

+2 174

*side note the test strip would not collect the blood. It appears to be defective with the end sealed?

4. Beth & Atlas

Re: Pre-Shot 294 to 109@+3

PMps 294

+2 174
    +3 109

Peak in an hour or so....?

60 pts. an hour and we're not at peak. That puts him in hypo ranges.

I just went ahead and fed him a snack. 1/4 can of his wet food Purina DM & some Innova Dry

5. Beth & Atlas

Re: Pre-Shot 294? 109@+3...Hypo-ing?

PMps 294

+2 174
    +3 109
    +4 90 with food!

I could really use some support here guys...anybody around?

Just offered him some more Innova Dry...1/2 cup.

6. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

hey there, you're doing good. i'm surprised no one has been around. maybe cinco de mayo parties tonight or something.

with n i would think you are nearing peak and 90 is a long way from hypo so test again in an hour maybe and see where you're at. i'll keep an eye out for an update

7. Beth & Atlas

Thanks Cindy! Keep in mind that 90 is with food at the 109 reading. I sort of thought this might happen with him having such a great several days and the low PMps reading tonight.

It is looking like the cut back from 8 units to 6 units wasn't enough of a cut.

Which in the long run as we work our way through this tonight ...is really good news.

Do you know if giving him food early in an event like this vs. sugar will prevent a rebound?

8. LynnLee + Mousie

i think just keeping him out of the low numbers, i.e. under 40, will keep him out of rebound.

food will take them up gently, sugar will take them up much faster though. not necessarily what i would call rebound, just a quick elevator ride to the top. then the next couple days after a sugar rush can throw you for a loop as to what to shoot because you are seeing high numbers and want to shoot more which is just the opposite of what you should do. i hope that makes sense :)

9. Beth & Atlas

PMps 294

+2 174
    +3 109 provided food
    +4 90 provided more food!
    +5 91

Whew! I feel like I prevented a major slide.

The food is more gentle and longer lasting too, correct? So if he is finally holding or starting to climb from here he should be good?

I realize it doesn't look like a hypo event, but I wonder where his numbers would be if I hadn't realized his drop and peak.

10. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Hi!

Congrats to you for home testing! Good catch!

I'm sorry I'm not familiar with Humulin N, but here is an info link

Humulin N Primer:
    viewtopic.php?f=19&t=303

11. LynnLee + Mousie

great!

and yes, food will hold him longer.

more than likely you're good for the night but if you'd like to feed him a little more to make sure that will be fine, especially if you need to get some sleep :)

12. sommerbethel

sommerbethel Member

Great job today! sorry nobody was around to help you until much later :(

I'm not familiar with N but it sounds like you have a good hold on how to handle it. And, don't worry, 90 is far from hypo...

Great job!

13. Beth & Atlas

PMps 294

+2 174
    +3 109 provided food
    +5 91
    +6 118

I stayed up for the plus 6 test to make sure he was indeed climbing back, then I went to bed. I was going to post last night but the computer was being persnickety about the thunderstorms in the area.

Groggy this morning on 4 hours of sleep, but I don't have to go to work today ;-)

We're feeding now and Atlas seems to be his perky self this morning. We'll be pulling that AMps here in a little bit and am curious to see what it is. IF he is under 300 we know 8u and 6u are too much. 8 units is what he has been getting for a few weeks now. 6 units is what I cut back to last night and feel if I had not been up and supplied extra food he might not be here this morning.We were dropping at onset around 60pts. @ hour.

14. Beth & Atlas

Thanks for the response. I was just looking for a bit of hand holding last night and wasn't terribly stressed through the situation. All the materials here and reading about some of the other folks who have had them crash helped me to recognize the potential last night.

This morning based on Atlas' preshot, I am sure I'll need some guidance about his dose. As crazy as this may seem with him finally starting to feel better this is a good problem for him.

Edit:
    What is Atlas doing tonight?
    viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13691

The Beginning
    viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9481&p=94671#p94671

15. Beth & Atlas

Re: Pre-Shot 294? Updated with morning AMps

PMps 294

+2 174
    +3 109 provided food
    +5 91
    +6 118

AMps 392

He only ate 3/4's of his food and that was with encouragement from me.

Do I do 6 or his regular 8?

16. LynnLee + Mousie

i'd actually not do either of those and at the most maybe 4.

are you gonna be around to test for the next few hours if need be?

17. Beth & Atlas

Re: Pre-Shot 294? Updated with morning AMps

Well, after some thought....I decided to only do 4 units.

18. Beth & Atlas

Oh my gosh...we're posting at the same time!!!

Yes, I am off today, tired, but off. I opted for the 4 units and I was thinking of testing at +4 and +6 unless I see Atlas acting oddly. Last night he kept trying to hide under the bed or behind the door.

19. Beth & Atlas

Well for what it's worth here are his numbers.

+4 187
    +6 210

Now I am going to go get a nap. Only 4 hours of sleep last night. Ugh...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.