precious cat need to find a picture .

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by susan k rupel, Feb 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. susan k rupel

susan k rupel Member

hello my name is susan rupel and my 14 yr old cat was just diagnosed with diabetes.Iam trying to understand all of this.

2. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Hello Susan, and welcome to FDMB. :)

A diagnosis of feline diabetes can seem quite overwhelming at first. We all understand how that feels. (((Hugs))) to you.
    But please be reassured that diabetes is very treatable.
    And we will help you in any way that we can.:bighug:

What is your cat's name?

Eliz

3. susan k rupel

susan k rupel Member

the one that has it her name is precious.I have another one named dottie but she does not have it.Iam trying to keep her from getting it.my vet has them on wet and dry food together.Is fancy feast good for feeding them?

4. Andy & Pimp

Andy & Pimp Well-Known Member

Hi Susan, Precious, and Dottie!

Welcome to the best place you never wanted to be:)

I'm Andy, obviously:rolleyes: and my sugarkittie is Pimp. He was diagnosed last October, and is making a great recovery- thanks to this Board!

We strongly recommend home glucose testing here, which is much easier than it sounds. You can save a lot of money by not doing those expensive curves at the vet and also readings at the vet can be inflated. We have a great spreadsheet available for tracking readings which really helps when getting support from other members.

Please feel free to poke around, there are tons of invaluable resources here for learning the steps to the Dance of Feline Diabetes. When you're ready to start asking questions, please come post on the Main Page - Feline Health

5. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Hi Susan~ And Welcome!

Can you provide us with some information? Like what insulin did your vet RX and how many units. Then we can direct you to the appropriate forum for that particular insulin.

You asked whether the Fancy Feast was a good food for our sugar cats: yes if it is CLASSICS. The CLASSICS are below 10% carbs which is what is recommended for the sugar cats. Not all of the Fancy Foods are appropriate for every day feeding except the Classics. BUT, before you switch to the FF CLASSICS, you need to be home testing first to make sure Precious stays safe. When you switch to lower carb food, the Blood Glucose could drop as much as 100 points over night. So please look into the home testing if you are not all ready doing . Andy provided you with a link for it.

Also, I am going to link here the food chart that Dr. Pierson put together for our sugar cats. Again, stay below 10% carbs and those are listed in the 3rd column from the left.

foodchart

Another thing that is very important. Understand the sign of a hypo event when your kitty falls below 50 on a human meter. Here are the instructions on
    How to treat a hypo event

If you have any other questions, please ask away as that is how we all learned.

6. Jeanne & Dottie

Jeanne & Dottie Member

Hi Susan..look at my avatar. My cat's name is Dottie, too. Two Dotties on the board!:bighug:

It's pretty scary at first, but treating diabetes isn't as hard as you may think. Hop over to the main forum, and start learning from all the wise people here. They've all been exactly where you are now, once upon a time. Cats have one advantage that people don't..:joyful:.many of them even go into remission if you take proper care of them.

:cat:Please come to the main forum, and we will talk about types of food, (Fancy Feast IS good, ...dry, meh... not so much, so come talk to us there)..and we'll get you educated on doing the Diabetes Dance with Precious, and help you keep Dottie safe at the same time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.