precious

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by susan k rupel, Sep 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. susan k rupel

susan k rupel Member

Hello there my name is susan rupel and my cat precious who is 14 was diagnosed in feb 2,2015 her blood glucose is still staying high and she is on 5 units of novolin 2 times a day.what do i need to do?

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Welcome.
    5 units is a high dose. How was that dose determined?
    Are you using Novolin N? I ask since Novolin is name for a family of insulins that include N, as well as R and a mixture of N and R. Only N is suitable for cats. N is not the best since it typically only last 4-5 hours.

Better insulins are the human Lantus and Levemir and the pet insulins ProZinc and BCP PZI. For those two human insulin it is best to get the 5 pack of 3 ml disposable pens via a 10 ml vial. Although per ml the vial is less expensive most cats will not use up a 10 ml vial before the insulin goes bad/becomes ineffective.

Most of us here test our cat's blood glucose at home using a human meter. We test before each shot and periodically between shots. We record our reading and other info in a spreadsheet. See:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/

What are you feeding? A low-carb canned is best. No reason for a prescription food. Here is a list of commercial low-carb canned
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/shortcut-shopping-list-all-8-or-less-updated.117688/

If you fill out a spreadsheet/provide BG at different times we can likely help you. Post those in the health forum
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/feline-health-the-main-forum.28/
    together with what yo are feeding

3. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Hi Susan, like Larry said, the spreadsheet will help us to help you. Without that info it's impossible for us to know what the insulin is doing. If you need help setting it up(like I did!), just let us know and someone will do it for you.

Critter Mom likes this.
  4. susan k rupel

susan k rupel Member

hey guys I do not know how to do a spread sheet.

5. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

6. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Please send me a private message if you need help with the spreadsheet or would like me to do it. Click on "Marje and Gracie" to the left and then "start a conversation". I'd be happy to help.

Critter Mom likes this.
  7. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

While you work on home monitoring, take a look at my signature link Secondary Monitoring Tools for some additional ways to evaluate your cat.

Critter Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.