Precision Xtra meter

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sherri & Stash (GA), Feb 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sherri & Stash (GA)

Sherri & Stash (GA) Member

I know there are folks here using the Precision Xtra to test BG & Blood Ketones.

We received our Precision Xtra ketone strips today and tested at 0.1 - that's good, right? The vet said he was 3 at FeLV+ dx two weeks ago.

PMPS with our OneTouch Ultra Mini is 286. Since I was testing, and was curious, I also tested BG with the Precision Xtra. I used the same drop of blood on both the OTU Mini and the Precision Xtra. The Xtra read 252 for the BG.

I know, I know, "meter variance." However, since the Xtra is "special" in that it test for blood ketones, does that mean it's "more" accurate for BG also? Just curious. Not about to leave the OTU behind.

2. Pam and Layla

Pam and Layla Member

3. Sharyn & Fiona

Sharyn & Fiona Member

Precision Xtra Readings for Cats

'Normal' for cats is 0.0-0.3 (Fiona's normal is 0.1, D & Shadow's normal is 0.3). This is based on Fiona's readings as well as the readings of other cats on the board.

3.0 is aproximately when ketones start showing on urine ketodiastix strips at a trace - at least that is the case for Fiona.

As BG's go down so will ketone levels (in most cases). If I can get Fiona's BGs under 250 for even a couple of hours her ketone level will go down.

We've been using it for 1.5 yrs. I've never used it for BG. But when I tried another meter and compared to my regular meter the numbers were very different. Good advice I received at the time is just use the same meter all the time, and adjust doses to only that meter. Consistency is what is most important. I kept the regular meter because the numbers were lower. ;-)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.