Pred use in diabetic cat - crossposting from LL

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by joyce-tuscany(GA), Feb 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joyce-tuscany(GA)

joyce-tuscany(GA) Well-Known Member

Tuscany has some on going issues - head tilt, bobblehead, poor vision, increase weakness, off balance (but not falling now). There has been minimal improvement - Tympanic membrane is red - Has been on baytril, an antihistamine and steroid ear drops for about 1 week. recheck at vets today - now suggesting pred oral use for 1-2 weeks. I have questions for any of you who have used pred on your sugar cats. Please see my lantus land condo: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7609 Thanks!

2. Gia and Quirk

Gia and Quirk Member

Joyce, if steroids are needed they trump diabetes. Work the insulin around the steroids and don't sweat it.

3. Jujukitty

Jujukitty New Member

I just wanted to say I feel your pain on the steroid use. I was told that my cat could lose his eye to glaucoma, lens luxation, etc. if I didn't treat with steroids at least in a minimal dose. He was only on topical, not oral, and it still whacked his BG out. It's been a PITA (for both of us) having my once well-regulated cat become harder to manage, but it was a trade-off I felt I had to make. His recent fructosamine test said he's barely in the "good regulation" category, so I guess we're making some progress.

4. joyce-tuscany(GA)

joyce-tuscany(GA) Well-Known Member

thanks all for the responses here and on lantusland. Tuscany had neuro appt this week. He felt that most likely it was a peripheral issue - not a brain/brainstem issue. He felt that the steroids were probably not going to do anything to help (especially since after 4 days it didn't seem like it was changing a thing). So we were able to stop the steroids, stop the antibiotics etc. Sugars are coming back down some. The neurologist also said that the head tilt would probably last - her unsteadiness would probably slowly improve or be compensated for.
    All in all was a reassuring visit. Everyone kept saying that she looked good for her age (17). Of course there was the one caution of - but if she does quickly get worse it could be a more serious issue ....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.