Prefilled syringe question

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Hope and Aria, Apr 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hope and Aria

Hope and Aria Member

Hey all. I prefilled a syringe for Ari. How long is it good for me to keep in the fridge? I know some insulin you shouldn't prefill, but I wasn't sure about Prozinc. Basically I set up the dose so I wouldn't have to try and eyeball in the wee hours, but now I'm thinking that I could prep a few for the cat sitter so I don't have to worry about her eyeballing, but I want to make sure they would be ok.

2. Michelle & Prudence

Michelle & Prudence Member

Sounds like a good idea, but I really don't know? I'm sure someone will chime in with info about it. Ari is doing great. Good job MaMa :D I'm keeping my eyes on you two :smile:

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I would not pre-fill for more than couple of days to be on the safe side. The syringes should not be stored needle side down since the particles in the insulin may clog the needle. In any event, the pre-filled syringe has to be gently rolled to get the particle back in suspension.

4. Hope and Aria

Hope and Aria Member

Hey Michelle!! Crazy couple of days for us. I'm keeping fingers/whiskers and toes crossed, but so far, so good. Going to 8 hour tests today, but she did great on the overnight.

Thanks Larry. I trust my cat sitter implicitly, but I'm nervous about her dispensing super low doses if needed.

5. Michelle & Prudence

Michelle & Prudence Member

I'm just so thrilled for you guys! I know how long you've been trying to get Ari to this point. The TID helped a ton ;-) Good luck today. I on the other hand... a bit frustrated :cry: Pru pulled away this morning during AMPS, so I need to wait this out a few hours ohmygod_smile She finally got to the 70's last night, but today may screw that all up? Gonna hope for a miracle, haha

6. Hope and Aria

Hope and Aria Member

To stay on topic - if she doesn't take the shot today, I'll trash this syringe and won't prep any more unless needed.

Now Off Topic!

Michelle - Just think how far Pru has come! When you started she was on 1 unit BID and now she's SO much lower and has gone some periods without needing any help at all. I fully expect our little fun fest over here to start and stop quite a bit, but I'm happy for what we've got going right now ;) I'm actually considering raising my no shot range to 150 after todays 140 then 130 - 15 minutes later. Was glad I waited on the shot.

And just to amuse you. My youngest who's 4 years old, decided he was going to give the cats Belly Rubs (aka Kitty Crack.) I didn't think anything of it until I heard a thump from the living room. Apparently, he left the lid off and my civvie went and stuck her head inside, then couldn't get out. She ran around the house like a mini kitty spaceman until I could catch her and free her. Her head was completely coated in Belly Rubs dust. It was sad, but still funny. Especially when she kept hitting the corner of the container on things while trying to evade me.

7. Gator & H (GA)

Gator & H (GA) Well-Known Member

The only time I have pre-filled any, I took them on a road trip. After going through a couple mountain passes at the end of the trip I found I had air bubbles in the syringes - and thus slightly less than I had started with. It was no big deal for us since I had purposely filled them with extra [so I could take the pre-fills and not compromise the whole bottle]. But anyway, I'm pretty sure the loss of insulin was due to the pressure changes but I cannot be certain about that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.