Prefilling Syringes With Lantus

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sassafrassa, Jan 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sassafrassa

Sassafrassa New Member

I am going on vacation in a couple months. My parents will be taking care of my cat for 8 days. In the past I used PZI which since it's a U40 insulin had an easier to read syringe. My parents are in their 70's. With the dose being only 2 units, I know it will be hard for them to fill the syringe. Even though I can see the units, the units are so close together it's hard to get the plunger to stop on the correct line the first time. So, I'm wondering if I can prefill the syringes? I know the manufacturer says not to but there are a lot of things we do the manufacturer says not to do (use more than 28 days, etc). I have read things about turbidity with various types of syringes and the reaction to the coating on the inside of the syringe. The prefilled syringes would be used over the course of 8 days. Has anyone done this or had any experience with it?

2. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=151

this might help,,,,scroll down to the section about prefilling Lantus - NOT recommended.
    Let's see what others say too.

3. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

You can buy an insulin syringe magnifier, such as this one ---> http://www.dynamic-living.com/product/s ... magnifier/ Many only fit 1/2 cc and 1 cc insulin syringes, though.

You can get a few 1/2 cc insulin syringes, though, and have you parents use those with the magnifier. You can easily measure 2 units on a 1/2 cc insulin syringe: http://lh4.ggpht.com/_SbfdsHhH-kc/SosPB ... yringe.jpg

Or you can use 1 cc insulin syringes with a magnifier if you keep in mind that each syringe line equals 2 units: http://lh3.ggpht.com/_SbfdsHhH-kc/SosPB ... yringe.jpg

Or maybe you can get a page-sized magnifier on a stand and have your parents draw up a 2 unit dose in a 3/10cc insulin syringe using that. Since you have a couple months before you go on vacation, can you sart showing your parents how to measure insulin? Don't use actual insulin. Use water and maybe tint it with a little food coloring so your parents can see where it is inside the syringe. Is hiring a pet sitter an option if your parents aren't fully comfortable with measuring insulin doses?

Pre-filling syringes is not recommened because the insulin can react with the lubricant inside the syringe barrel and may lose effectiveness.

4. KarenRamboConan

KarenRamboConan Senior Member Moderator

Could you prefill one syringe with coloured water or cranberry juice that they could use as a guide?

Although it's not recommended, I do know that others have done it with no problem. However, it is important to note that there could be problems with the syringes that were filled the longest.

5. Tara and Nick

Tara and Nick Member

Yes, though not recommended, some have no trouble with this. My mother's trick is to stand the syringes up in a baggie inside a cup in the fridge, needle part covered and pointed upward. It's worked out well for her, but usually just for three days. Not sure how it would be for eight days.

6. Karen and Flo

Karen and Flo Member

You could also use a fine point Sharpie and draw a line all the way around the circumference of the syringe that might be easier for them to see.

7. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA Well-Known Member

Just a thought, but your parents may have no trouble filling the syringes. They might be fine with it. Seventies isn't that old and they probably have glasses that will make it easy enough for them to read the marks. Of course, only you know them as individuals. Just a thought.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.