? Preparing for dental questions

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kitty mom, Jul 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kitty mom

Kitty mom Member

Blitzen is going for his pre-dental blood work today and I will schedule his dental for the week of the 10th.
    I was told that drop off is at 8:00 am and not food or water after 10:00pm the night before. There is not a scheduled time for his cleaning , its when they get to him that day. My concerns are him being dropped off and just left in a cage for hours hungry and thirsty, I guess I will discuss this with the vet today .
    If they can tell me an approximate time of the cleaning I can schedule his feeding according to the surgery time.
    if they can't eat 8 hours before surgery and he's not going in until 2:00 pm I could still feed him before the 6:00 am mark .
    Any suggestions on this?
    FYI...He is OTJ

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Vets that I know do not restrict water for diabetic cats when still at home. They may restrict it when at the vet.
    Some of my vets allow some food in the morning with some insulin and those vets do the dental starting at about noon.
    It also depends upon what y vet has experience with

3. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

@Robin-S Does Blitzen get stressed out at the vet?
    Ask the vet if it's ok to give something to keep Blitzen calm like Rescue Remedy or calming chews before you bring him to the vet. Yes, it would help if you knew approximately what time his cleaning will be done.
    CJ is OTJ too and will be having dental cleaning soon. She's having an early morning dental cleaning so no food after midnight and no water after 6 am. Her #'s are good like Blitzen's is so I am not worried about leaving her unfed or without water for awhile. I'd be more concerned if she was on insulin.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  4. Kitty mom

Kitty mom Member

Yes, he get very stressed in the beginning but then calms down .
    We're back from the vet and blood work is done. They decided to make him the first surgery that morning, Friday the 7th . They will also keep him in a private room away from other animals as to keep him calm and will spray pheromone spray too. They were very reassuring that their main focus was to keep him comfortable and calm and this made me feel so much better. They said no food or water after 10:00 pm the night before, I wonder if I could stretch it to midnight? As much as I'm stressing over this I know he will be fine and it will be over and done with quickly, hopefully he wont need anything pulled.
    Thanks !

Cat Ma likes this.
  5. Kitty mom

Kitty mom Member

I'm curious as to what his blood work will show, I tested him before I took him and he was at 68.
    They also suggested I test him that morning so they know where he's at.

6. Alix

Alix Member

I am avidly reading this as my Scamp - who is on insulin - goes for her dental on the 14th. My vet said to give her 1/2 dose insulin in the morning and his staff said (I will be asking the question of the vet) to take away food and water at 10 PM the night before (I understood the food but I have a bit of a problem with the water). Also my vet wants her glucose levels in the morning also!! (she has 2 other cats having surgery before her!)

7. Laura & Heffernan

Laura & Heffernan Member

My diabetic Heff just had a dental in May. He had no food after 10 pm, water was ok. We did not give insulin the morning of surgery since he wasn't eating & we didn't know how long he'd be under or what he'd feel like post op. I did give his heart medication orally. I was going shot by shot what dose he got because his recovery took a bit longer than expected & his eating was unpredictable. I did test Heff before dropping him off and my vets office tested him periodically while he was recovering. @Alix It couldn't hurt to ask if your cat could be bumped to head of the line?

8. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

His numbers have been consistently great and within normal limits so I wouldn't be worried unless there's any major changes in behavior, eating patterns, litter box issues, etc beforehand. Vet glucose will very likely be higher especially since he was stressed.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  9. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

Check with your vet and ask if you can do that.

10. Kitty mom

Kitty mom Member

I'm not worried just curious as what the difference will be. I'm still wondering about both cats becoming diabetic such a short time apart and then both going OTJ in a matter of 7 days and 12 days.

11. Kitty mom

Kitty mom Member

ok my heart just stopped because my vet just called...blood work is all good . BG was 158 and they said its in normal range, on the high side of normal but I guessing it was that high due to stress.:cat::cat:

12. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

Were there any factors that could have induced the diabetes i.e illness, infections, steroid shots, extreme stress, etc? Were your cats showing any signs of diabetes i.e. excessive water drinking, hunger and urine?

13. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

Good news! Yes, due to stress. Home testing is a more accurate measure of true BG levels but it's a good feeling to see the vet values normal, too :).

My vet isn't going to be checking BG levels before dental cleaning. He accepts the values I show from home testing.

14. Kitty mom

Kitty mom Member

Major urine output as well as excessive drinking and eating.

I'm thrilled my vet did the blood work up and that includes the BG,Its what he does for all pre surgery blood tests. Will your vet be check blood at all?

15. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

Yes, the vet will run blood work. It is his standard practice before dental cleaning.

16. Kitty mom

Kitty mom Member

Oh ok. This is the first time for my boys so I don't know what the norm is. It does give me a great peace of mind knowing his numbers are so good. I do check it myself but it was reassuring hear it from my vet.
    I just love my little darlings!

Cat Ma likes this.
  17. Mitzelplik's Mom

Mitzelplik's Mom Member

Mitz (20 yrs old) had a dental April 21. They said no food after mid-night but water was fine. I gave ½ her normal insulin dose and checked her BG before I took her in. I also gave her Rescue Remedy before. Her numbers were good the day of surgery. Higher starting a couple days after, maybe from pain meds wearing off? She was in higher than normal numbers for about a week and then came back down.

Sounds like your vet is a good one and your kitty will be in good hands. I'm glad they're giving you the first slot of the day.

Laura & Heffernan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.