preshot #125 a little confused

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Bonnie & Kyndra, Mar 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bonnie & Kyndra

Bonnie & Kyndra Member

I should probably be posting this to the Lantus board since that is what I am using but I have only been using insulin for a few weeks and have only been able to get a BG reading at home twice - and they always seem to want numbers that I just don't have...

Kyndra's "normal" numbers from curves at the vet had been in the 250-350 range. She had been managed with diet - Purina DM - since Sept. and just started on insulin on The only BG numbers I have gotten from her were on 3/9, which was 7 hours after a shot (she is getting one unit of Lantus and she had just started on insulin. and then again tonight which was a preshot at 9pm and it was 125. I gave her her shot but a little concerned because it is so low.

I have had a difficult time getting blood from her and have gone thru more lancets and strips. Then I gave up until tonight and got a nice blob of blood!

I guess I am still confused, and a little nervous, about NUMBERS. If her BG is 125 BEFORE giving her insulin - isn't that low?? I gave her the shot and will call my vet int he morning, but wanted to post here to try and understand things better. I read, I understand, then I get confused. I know different insulins have different durations, but I have to admit, it is still really confusing to me. Can someone clear things up - in English? I have read the articles - the peaks ans and nadirs, etc. and it is just not making sense... confused_cat confused_cat confused_cat

thanks

2. Complick8d

Complick8d Well-Known Member

Bonnie...

It's a lot to digest and understand in the beginning. When Willow was first diagnosed and battling DKA, I posted and then when I was bombarded with responses to my posts, I had to step away to try and take it all in. It was more than a little overwhelming. I'm sure people had to repeat things multiple times before it sunk in for me.

The reason the people on the Lantus board want numbers is because those numbers are important in not only determining dose, but also in making you "data ready" in cases such as this when you have a lower than normal preshot. Being data ready also helps you get a better understanding of nadir, and so on. Until you're able to test more, I'd probably skip shots if you get a number at or below 200 at preshot. Because you shot at 125, I'd at least attempt to get some readings this cycle if possible. If not, just keep and eye out for hypo symptoms. Are you still working on paw pad testing? I paw test Willow and may be able to offer tips and support. Is your main problem that you can't get a big enough blood droplet or is there something else?

3. Bonnie & Kyndra

Bonnie & Kyndra Member

Sorry I did not reply sooner but I thought I was subscribed to this thread and got no emails saying anyone had answered and just now looked.

Yes, I understand the reason for the numbers on the Lantus forum, but I really don't have any since it was just those two times and they are almost 2 weeks apart.

Since I am not 100% sure about the accuracy of the meter I have to the "real" numbers I am not sure if the 125 is a true 125. I read the article that someone posted on comparing meters but maybe I should wait until I can compare it to my vets readings?

I gave up on the paw testing because I just could not get enough blood before she would pull away. Where do test (which pad?) and what preparation do you find works well? Last night I really did some serious ear massaging and used the little rice pack warmer before lancing and had much better success than I had previously with the ear so will try that from now on. I am going to try and get a reading now before I feed her (5pm) and then maybe again before her insulin 9pm).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.