Prince Dozer of Pillows

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Scarlett White, Feb 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scarlett White

Scarlett White New Member

My baby, Prince Dozer of Pillows, was diagnosed with diabetes on February 8th, 2016. In this first week I have given myself an unhealthy crash course in a feline dietary needs. I've created more spreadsheets than I can count. Just trying to soak up all the knowledge I can.

He started on all dry food, Iams indoor and we noticed changes about 3 weeks prior to vet visit. Things just started compiling, we thought there were issues with our scoopfree litter box, then realized he was drinking more water, then he started being less snuggly, so we got him to the vet asap.

In this first week, I have figured out his ideal nutritional needs and I have switched him to a low carb, all canned, diet while tracking what he eats in calorie, fat, protein, and phosphorus. He is on 3 units of glygine, but I am nervous to give him the full dose with the change in diet. So we started going down a little yesterday until we see the vet again Monday.

Next, Monday is his first curve at the vet and I would like to learn to home test. I don't like giving him his shot and not knowing if he Really needs it. It is so scary.

I am filling our life with as much positivity as possible because I know he can sense when things are off. I am determined to not only get my little guy into remission, but to help anyone I can in the process.

On March 1st, I am going to start a petition that will give me 30 days to come up with 100,000 signatures asking the Obama administration and fda to require pet companies to provide accurate nutritional values. It is a quick process, but if anything this week has shown me how little information there is to help our beloved pets. Unfortunately it is a lot of signatures in a short period of time so I am telling everyone I can up until March 1st to get as much support prior to launching it.

I hope everyone is well and we are sending our good energy to you.

Critter Mom likes this.
  2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Welcome. It is good that yo changed to canned and reduced the insulin dose.
    Also, it is good that you want to home test. Home testing is better than at a the vet since vet stress can artificially raise BG by 100 (US) or more points.
    For detailed advice and to ace specific questions post in the main Health forum
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/feline-health-the-main-forum.28/

3. Scarlett White

Scarlett White New Member

Thank you so much! That is my next step, I will be doing research on that this week now that I am getting his food nailed down. It's so hard to manage that, do I ask questions about diet in that same forum?

4. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Yes, the Health forum is for all health issues including food/diet. Te health problem even do no have to be diabetes related.

5. Liz & IttyBit

Liz & IttyBit Member

Hi Scarlett, welcome!
    You are off to a great start!
    Knowledge and determination are a great combination.
    I know it's all so overwhelming at the beginning, but it does get easier.
    Hope to see you over in Feline Health with any questions you might have.

Critter Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.