? Pro and cons of switching from Lantus to Levemir? Just curious

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Phoebes (GA), Jan 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phoebes (GA)

Phoebes (GA) Well-Known Member

I have been just thinking about if a switch to levemir from lantus. Phoebe has reacted a couple of times with injections, but not sure if it's burning or not. It's very rare she does react. But just thought what are the pros and cons of switching? Does it cost more than lantus? Better? Same? Would love to get thoughts on it. Bad or good. Thank you.

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

You will probably get more feedback if you ask this question innthe Lev/Lantus forum. There is also a post somewhere in Think Tank that discusses changes when going from Lantus to Lev.

Phoebe looks really good on Lantus, so that's not a reason to switch, but reducing the sting is a good reason if she is noticing it. Onset and nadir are around a couple hours later on Lev (ECID), so you'll have to see if that fits your schedule.

I can't tell you cost difference, but you can look it up on Marks if you are buying there. In Canada Lev is a tiny bit more expensive. Some kitties need a bit less Lev, not all, so that would reduce the cost.

Phoebes (GA) and Critter Mom like this.
  3. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Leo has been on Prozinc, Lantus, and Levemir. He seems to tolerate Levemir the best. And I agree with Wendy, the effectiveness takes a bit longer. Leo's nadirs are at 7 hours and still low at 10-12 hours.

Phoebes (GA) likes this.
  4. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I have used many different insulins. My three are now on Levemir. I get more consistent BG with Levemir than Lantus.

Phoebes (GA) likes this.
  5. Beenie (GA)

Beenie (GA) Well-Known Member

Reactions to the injection could be suspect of stinging. I switched Beenie from ProZinc to Levemir for that reason. Didn't want to take a chance that it would sting so I jumped right to Lev. Was a big fan of Lev, she did well on it. Not sure about cost difference between Lantus and Levemir. As the others said a factor to consider is the later nadir.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.