Pro Zinc Users

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Gail & Houdini (GA), Jul 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gail & Houdini (GA)

Gail & Houdini (GA) Well-Known Member

I've just opened my last vial of PZI so in a month or so I will have to switch to Pro Zinc.....

Has anyone noticed any difference in the two? Houdini has done pretty well for several years on PZI and I'm nervous about changing. He is one of those sugar kitties that will never be totally regulated I'm afraid.

We tried Lantus for a year and it was a nightmare with ups and downs and near crashes....way to unpredictable. BCP he had an allergic reaction to. So we are pretty limited here.

Those who have made the transition.....anything you can share?

Thanks

2. Peggy and Mickey (GA)

Peggy and Mickey (GA) Well-Known Member

Sorry can't help much. We went from humulin 70/30 3years ago to Pro zinc now. Hope everything goes ok with you both.

3. Gator & H (GA)

Gator & H (GA) Well-Known Member

We went from PZI Vet to ProZinc.

There are a number of topics in this PZI forum that deal with this, so keep digging and using the search. Limit to this forum and titles only to terms like "prozinc" , "prozinc switch" or similar. I posted a long time ago and throughout on this topic if you search for some of my early posts or limit by my posts and the topic title of "prozinc" you will likely find reading.

You should read the entire ProZinc.us website and these studies:
    http://www.vetlearn.com/Media/Publicati ... 2_24_0.pdf
    http://prozinc.us/document_handler.ashx?document_id=13
    The one about PZI Vet to ProZinc is especially important as it seems OK to switch on a 1:1 dosing ratio. However, the dosing might need some tweaking. I found H needed a little more ProZinc than the old PZI Vet but there are many factors that could have played into that. I've seen one or two other reports of this too but that is hardly universal.

Also make sure you have read the reading in the sticky if you haven't already.

Basically, IMHO the real world differences are few BUT I strongly believe that the transition should be treated as a change to a new insulin. So that means testing and getting those mid cycles - you will save energy in the long run by being prudent. Also give the new insulin about 45 days to "settle" - be patient. Initially I found that making small dosing changes had a [very subjective] seemingly relatively large effect - but many factors could have effected this judgment. And this might have just been part of the settling process. Later I was pretty much able to use it just like the old PZI Vet with variable "scale"-type dosing.

PM me with here you are in SoCal - I may have a 1/2 bottle of ProZinc for you if you were ever nearby. I was going to send to Kelly and I think she switched all kitties to Lantus. However I won't be back there for a couple weeks I bet.

Good luck and keep reading and using that search function. :smile: And more questions, don't hesitate to ask.

4. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

Do you know what the allergic reaction was to in the BCP? Doubt it would be something in ProZinc, but if you have any insight into what triggered the allergy you might be able to call the PZ manufacturer & ask about it.

There may also still be a few around here with PZI Vet vials they don't need - you might try posting here and in Supply Closet to see if anyone still has any they want to share...

5. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Angela & Blackie & 3 Others Well-Known Member

I don't think I'd be of much help, either. We went from Vetsulin to ProZinc, and have been on ProZinc since May 12th. I hope that things will settle down very soon for you both.

6. Gail & Houdini (GA)

Gail & Houdini (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what caused the reaction but I can tell you it isn't something I want to repeat :smile: Scared the heck out of me and my vet!

I thought about asking around for PZI vials with a later exp date but sooner or later I will have to make the switch so I might as well get it over with....

7. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Angela & Blackie & 3 Others Well-Known Member

Got my fingers crossed and Blackie has her paws crossed for you both. Wishing for a positive outcome for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.