Profuse Vomiting, BG went from 76-221 in less than 2 hours- What should i do?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA), Apr 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA) Well-Known Member

Jack has been doing great, and his BG numbers have been going down. Tonight, about an hour or so after eating and shooting, he began vomiting. It was severe - 4 times. He was retching. I tested his sugar. It's 221 now, and was 76 before he ate. I have no idea what's happening. Is there something I should do?

2. Jasper Blue and Jay

Jasper Blue and Jay Member

3. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

Thank you.

4. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

I removed 911 because that's for hypo situations. But thanks for responding.

5. MamaMug

MamaMug Member

I don't know that I have the answer but giving this another bump.

EDIT - I removed this middle bit because I had mixed up the BG readings, thought he was dropping instead of increasing.
    I've read that any gastrointestinal distress like yartzing (as we call it), diarrhea, hairballs, can all increase numbers. Makes sense to me if the body is trying to eject something and going panic mode.

Have you tried any new foods? We had a new food a few weeks back that caused some pretty violent retching with one of our civvies.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
    Reason for edit: Bad at words
  6. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

He's not dropping. His BG is going up -from 76-221. There's no new food. I'm just hoping this is a fluke and it will pass. He used to throw up a lot, but it's only happened once since his dx.

7. MamaMug

MamaMug Member

Yep my bad, I just corrected it. Been a long day and I stupidly am staring at my phone with no glasses.... or brain lol.

Better he be going up than dangerously down, is my kneejerk reaction.

I would keep an eye on him. Try to make sure he's getting fluids. Hopefully someone has a bit more educated response than I, as I'm the blind leading the blind in a lot of these inquiries!

8. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

I'm hoping that the rise on BG is because of the stress of retching. And I'm hoping that this is just a one-time gig on his part. He did used to vomit like crazy, before his dx. It stopped once he started on insulin.

9. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

I get the whole brain dead thing. I'm running on brain dead myself! And yea, I'm glad that he's not dropping. It was strange to see such a high number from him. He hasn't been in the yellow for a while now.

10. MamaMug

MamaMug Member

It looks odd on his sheet! Hopefully a puke fluke (see what I did there?). Jacks really looking great!

11. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

He WAS looking really great. This has me worried. It's not going back down. I wonder if this happens sometimes. I wonder if it's possible for a cat's BG to be looking so good, and then have it reverse itself like that? I hope this is a fluke. A puke fluke would be very acceptable right now!

12. MamaMug

MamaMug Member

What a world when we're all praying for a puke fluke! :confused:

13. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Carolyn, what is he doing now? Has he been to the water bowl or is he acting like he doesn't feel well? Meatloafing or different breathing?

14. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

He's vomiting again. His body posture is strange. His BG is 224.

15. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

Hi breathing looks normal. What is meatloafing?

16. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

He hasn't tried to eat or drink water. It almost looks like he's afraid to move because he thinks he'll throw up.

17. Idjit's mom

meatloafing is when they are on the belly, legs tucked under, can indicate gut ache

18. Idjit's mom

Did the other cats eat from the same can? Could he have found something on the floor or chewed on a plant?

19. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

He's stretched out on his belly, back legs under him and front legs stretched out. His eyes look normal. Oh... he just jumped into a box.

20. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

They all ate the same food. I have no plants. I'm racking my brain trying to figure out if he could have gotten into something. I don't think he did...

21. Idjit's mom

Litter box? or just a box?

22. Idjit's mom

Ok, sweetheart, calm down or he's going to sense your stress and get more stressed. Just ticking off the "what ifs". I would keep a close eye on him, see what happens in the next few minutes. The food might not have agreed with him and he got rid of it.

MamaMug likes this.
  23. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

It's just am empty chewy box. He's still there, peeking out at me over the top. Thank you... I want to be calm. I'll just keep my eye on him now. Thank you for responding.

24. Idjit's mom

Those FF cans are pretty small, he might have been served a different can, or from one that might have been in the fridge and he got the last of it. Idjit did that once with Friskies, he ate and spewed. I tossed the rest of the can.
    I'm going to be right here. I'm not hollering at you, I just want you to breathe and be well. Then if you have to take him to an ER clinic you will be calm and in control.

MamaMug likes this.
  25. SpotsMom

SpotsMom Member

Is he still actively vomiting/heaving? Try to see if you can get him to eat or drink anything. If he won’t, or doesn’t hold it down, it may be time for an ER vet trip. I would be concerned about a blockage or eating something he shouldn’t have if he’s still vomiting after an hour. Spot has had several pancreatitis episodes in the past so I’m no stranger to the pukes, but it usually does not last over an hour if there is nothing new in his stomach. It comes and goes.

Don’t worry too much about the BG numbers. Vomiting definitely causes stress which can quickly elevate numbers.

26. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

I didn't think you were hollering at me. It was a needed reminder to just calm down.

27. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

He jumped into an empty box a few minutes ago, and he's laying in there now. He looks like he's starting to relax a little. He threw up quite a lot, but it all took place in under an hour. He last threw up about 20 minutes ago.

SpotsMom likes this.
  28. SpotsMom

SpotsMom Member

That’s good! Hopefully whatever it was has passed! Maybe put a water dish next to him so he doesn’t have to move far to get to it :)

29. Idjit's mom

I would note just what variety of FF he got for that meal, he may not want it much for awhile, if ever. They remember what came back up. If there is food left in that can, I would not feed from it again. Just my opinion there.
    I hope he's settling, vomiting that hard is no fun and he's probably pretty tired out.

30. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

I'm certainly hoping...

31. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

You're right about the food. I know I remember what food made me sick. I'm just going to let him be for a while now. He's settled and trying to relax in his little box. But it looks like it may have passed.

Idjit's mom likes this.
  32. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

Oh my. He ate Dave's tonight. It's better quality than FF and a tad bit cheaper. I had it mixed with FF. I was hoping they'd all decide that it's delicious, because they're not crazy about it. Something tells me he may not eat it again.

33. Idjit's mom

I know that the food processors do quality control, but there's always a chance that a batch, or a can, isn't good. Could have been one or the other of the brands, or just the mixture didn't agree with him. I'm so glad he's settling down, and hopefully will drink a little water and keep it down. :bighug:

34. MamaMug

MamaMug Member

@Daddy Jack's Mommy just wanted to check in today and see how Jack is doing? Looks like his numbers settled down.

35. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

He threw up a few more times during the night, but no more retching and only small amounts. I was so surprised to see his PS at 61 this morning. At breakfast,, he ate sooooo much food, so that was good. And he's kept it down. But I know he wasn't himself because he didn't clean himself after he ate. Maybe his tummy still didn't feel great or he remembered vomiting with movement the night before. But other than that, he's acting normal. I'm going through some boxes to store, and he's curious and checking out what I'm doing. He seems bright and attentive, and purrs when I touch him. It may have been that his food just didn't sit right, although when he pooped before dinner, that didn't look right either. Phew! But that also seems normal again.

Sharon14, SpotsMom and MamaMug like this.
  36. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

Long story short (because I didn't do a good job of that above), I think he's better.

Sharon14 and SpotsMom like this.
  37. Idjit's mom

So glad to hear he's better. I wonder sometimes if our pets get tummy bugs like we do, or if it's always a food or medication issue. Hugs and chin scritches to Jack. Here's to a much better day for both of you.

38. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

I think this is what happened last night. I'm just so glad that he's feeling good again!

BBelshan and Idjit's mom like this.
  39. MamaMug

MamaMug Member

Glad to hear he's doing well!

40. Jasper Blue and Jay

Jasper Blue and Jay Member

So glad he's feeling better. Was that the first time he ever ate Dave's?

41. BBelshan

BBelshan Member

So glad he's feeling better. He has some great numbers! Hope today was better for you too. No fun watching our fur kids be sick.

42. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

No. He's had it before, and he's the only one (of my 5 cats) who seems to like it at all. I like it because it's natural and less expensive than FF, and I was hoping that if I kept mixing it with FF, they'd start to like it more. Now I'm afraid that he won't eat it again because of how sick he was. I don't think it was Dave's food that made him sick. I think he was just having problems with his tummy, as he used to do before his dx. I'm holding off on giving them Dave's for a little while, and hoping that he'll take it again when I offer it. Poor baby. He was so sick last night.

43. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

I know! His numbers are looking so good! And I'm so relieved that his being sick was just a passing bad tummy experience.

BBelshan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.