Proper dose for Methylcobalamin?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Susan & Sheba, Mar 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Susan & Sheba

Susan & Sheba Member

Susan & Sheba High River, Alberta Canada
    Sheba 17 years old, 5 lbs

Hi,

I have found a place that carries Methycobalamin (for Sheba - diabetic neuropathy). They carry 500 microgram tablets and 1000 microgram tablets. How much would be the correct dose per day? Which one should I get?

I have read that for her weight of 5lbs, she would need 1.5 MILLIgrams. Is this right? How does that translate to micrograms?

Sorry I just want to be sure that she gets the correct amount as I seem to be flying solo on this (my vet is currently not in agreeance), I just want to make tripple sure that I am giving her the correct dose per day.

Thanks so much for your time and patience with me,
    Susan & Sheba

2. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

First be sure that the tablets are 100% methylcobalamin.

I have seen bottles that state methyl-B12 on the front, then on the
    back where they list all the ingredients, there will be only a tiny
    amount of methyl- and the rest is something else.

1000 micro-grams = 1 milligram.

Therefore one 1000 micro-gram tablet plus one 500 micro-gram tablet = 1.5 milligrams.

or three 500 micro-gram tablets = 1,500 micrograms = 1.5 milligrams.

or 1-1/2 tablets of 1000 micrograms = 1.5 milligrams.

But whatever is the most economical. You can crush and put into food.

3. Susan & Sheba

Susan & Sheba Member

Just wondering what a good starting dose would be? She is only 5lbs. Some sites state .5 milligrams (500 micrograms), while others state 1.5 milligrams (1500 micrograms), it also states that the dose may need to be increased if necessary. Would it be wise to start with 1 milligram (1000 micrograms)?

Thanks,
    Susan & Sheba

4. Karen & Smokey(GA)

A commonly given dose here is 3 mg.

That's because the most-used form, brand name Xobaline, comes as a 3mg pill.

B vitamins are water soluble and any excess is excreted in the urine. 3mg would not
    be an overdose.

I suppose it depends if your cat already has diabetic neuropathy, or if you are trying
    to prevent it.

One USA source for Xobaline is here:

http://www.vitaminlife.com/product-exec ... t_id/37728

Not sure if they ship to Canada.

5. erin_mc

erin_mc New Member

Hi,

I'm in Canada (Medicine Hat, AB) and found methylcobalamin in a herbal store here, but when I read the ingredients I felt like it had a lot of added sugar and flavor to it. I ordered more from iherb.com and had no problems getting it here, shipping was fast and shipping costs were reasonable. I crush the pills up in my mortar and sprinkle in his wet food, or I add it to his water.
    My guy seems to be improving after we started with the methyl, he is climbing stairs and jumping up on the couches and beds again. It was really bad for awhile, he wouldnt even move from his little corner where his water dish was.

6. Karen & Smokey(GA)

The most important thing is to get kitty's BG under control.

The methyl-B12 helps, but not by itself.

7. Susan & Sheba

Susan & Sheba Member

Hi,

We are working on the BG levels as well of course. Her BG levels were great until a recent constipation/obstipation/hospitalization where she would no longer eat her old food - we are currently trying to get her on a new diet.

She is 5 lbs, and the pills we got are 1 milligram (1000 micrograms). I do believe she has neuropathy (that is what the vet thought) however I am thinking about taking her to the vet again this week, to test for pancreatitis. Tonight I gave her 1 milligram. She doesn't mind the pill.

Erin, how long was he hardly moving for? How long was it before you saw improvement? Did your cat have high BG levels for a while? How much methylcobalamin did you give him each day?

Thanks,
    Susan & Sheba

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.