Prozinc Expiration Date Question

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by mattm1124, Dec 7, 2019.

1. mattm1124

mattm1124 Member

Hello all. It's been awhile since I posted here. Everyone was so helpful when our cat Oreo was first diagnosed with diabetes.

What do you all do in regards to the expiration date on the Prozinc vial? I ask because Oreo really doesnt need insulin anymore. We check her blood sugar in the AM and PM and she is typically at 120 or lower. If you chexk her spreadsheet, we have not done a great job updating her spreadsheet, because her numbers have been good and honestly, just forgot to enter them and then we got so far behind.

Her most recent prozinc had an expiration date of 11/19. When we went to the vet for a new one, the expiration date said April 2020. We didn't get that one because it was so close to today's date and we rarely have to give her insulin anymore luckily. The vet said she called the makers of prozinc and it's actually only good for 60 days after opening. Our last vial, we used for over a year because we thought the 11/19 was the expiration date and didnt know about the 60 days. How long do you all use yours for?

This message board has been so much more helpful than the vet. We don't know if we should even get a new vial since she rarely needs it and April is so close. We would have piece of mind though I guess.

Also, Ive tried to update the signature, but it never saves. She eats FF Pate only and the insulin we were giving was based on her number. Usually it was only .25.

Thanks!

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

If the vial is unopened, it is good until the expiration date. Once it is opened, that expiration date no longer applies. It will remain effective longer than 60 days, but not as much as a year. In my experience, once I got around 3 months out, I saw a decline in effectiveness and needed to get a new vial. I have seen others say they managed to get 4 or 5 months out of a vial, but I would say to try to push past maybe 6 months is too far.

3. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

I'm a bit confused here. Is she in remission or not? Insulin is not normally something you give every once in a while.

4. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

The parameters and allowable space for the signature have changed since you did yours so it may be that your signature is now too long. Try shortening it and see I that helps. The DOB info and food info can be shortened and you can use "AT2" for the meter, etc. to get the number of characters decreased. Also put the link for Oreo's SS at the beginning of the signature followed by the other text so it's not taking up a line of it's own.

5. Merrie

Merrie Member

HOW DO I START A NEW TAB ON THE SPREAD SHEETS?