? Prozinc Expiration Date usage

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Peppersmom72, Dec 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peppersmom72

Peppersmom72 Member

I just received my order of Prozinc from Allivet. The expiration date on the vial says 08/2018. When I called to ask why I'm getting insulin that expires so soon, they stated that I can keep the insulin for another year after expiration date if its not open. Does this sound right?

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Uh.. no. My understanding is that it has a shelf life of two years (unopened) and that date should be the end of the two years.

3. FurBabiesMama

If you are about to open it and use it, isn't that date fine since it is 8 months out?

Peppersmom72 likes this.
  4. Peppersmom72

Peppersmom72 Member

They will not do anything about it since its not expired yet. I asked her if it is normal for them to send out insulin that is going to expire soon and she stated that it all depends on when you order it. :banghead:

5. FurBabiesMama

I think you are going to use it now, so I do not see the problem.

6. Peppersmom72

Peppersmom72 Member

I will open soon, its just the point that I've always heard people say and received Peppers current insulin (Novolin) has a 2 year expiration on the bottle.

7. FurBabiesMama

The bottles expire 2 years after production. You are not always going to get a bottle that was just produced. I have never ordered from Allivet, so I do not know if theirs always run later like that on expiration dates or if you just happened to get one that is that way. Maybe others who buy from them can comment on that. I have ordered two vials so far from 1800PetMeds. The first had an expiration of 8/18 (received in Sept), and the second has 1/19 (received in Nov).

8. Peppersmom72

Peppersmom72 Member

@FurBabiesMama

Thank you for listening to me ramble on. I was just kind of shocked to see a bottle that expires in 8 months. You're right, it wouldn't make a difference since we are going to use it right away. (As soon as the U-40 syringes come). I'm deathly afraid to use the U-100 syringes I have with the conversion chart.

9. FurBabiesMama

Yeah, I'm with you on that. I use only U-40.

10. Callie & Patches

Callie & Patches Well-Known Member

My bottle has a expiration date of 10-18. I haven't opened it yet as Callie's dose has dropped from 3u to 0.6u. that bottle won't be used up for a while.

Peppersmom72 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.