Prozinc intervals?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by MBFayFoster, Dec 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MBFayFoster

MBFayFoster New Member

Hi, I'm 100% new to treating my diabetic cat, who just started 1 unit of prozinc twice daily. I understand that we are to administer the insulin every 12 hours, but is there a "buffer?" Like, say I give my cat an injection at 7:00 am . . . I understand I should give her another injection at 7:00 pm, but is 6:45 ok? 7:15? Is one option better than another - 15 minutes too early or 15 minutes too late? How early is TOO early? How late is TOO late?

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Welcome! :) That's a good starting dose and you're right - dosing at 12 hour intervals is ideal. However, because ProZinc is an "in and out" insulin most or all of it will be gone at the 12 hour mark. There's less danger of a new dose overlapping substantially with the previous dose creating the effect of a higher dose. It's also a little slower in onset than some of the other in and out insulins. This all means that you have about an hour's flexibility for the dose to stray from the schedule. This can be useful if you can't be home or have to leave a bit before the regular dose time. Generally, it's best to stay as close to 12/12 as you can.

Will you be testing your kitty's blood glucose at home? If you've done any reading on FDMB you'll know we like to see BG data.

3. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Welcome! Kris already answered your question, so I just wanted to say hi! What other questions do you have? We'd love to help and we all remember when we were new...I had so many questions! Please ask anything you like. Also, you might want to read our Beginngers Guide and Protocol at the top of the forum here...there's lots of good info there!

srk4cats and Kris & Teasel like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.