Prozinc kitty on meds for heart, etc. looking for opinions

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by C&C, Mar 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. C&C

C&C Member

I have a post about my cat under Prozinc which having been trying to regulate--it is called Insulin Prozinc getting it right question for 78 year cat. I have her also on meds and am wondering about the following:

1-Anyone experience Prozinc giving a cat Diarrhea?

2- Anyone experience your cat getting Diarrhea from Fancy Feast Turkey & Giblets Classic wet food?

3- Anyone experience your cat getting Diarrhea from taking Enalapril which is a heart medication?

4- Anyone experience your cat getting Diarrhea from taking Furosemide-diuretic which is like a water pill? ( look up this pill many vets give it along with the enalapril.)

5- Anyone experience or have thoughts about 1-4 above cumulatively and the effect on Diarrhea?

6- Does the level of insulin effect how much a cat pees?

a) If the cat is on a diuretic won't they drink more water and pee more due to being on these medications?
    b) If a cat is not totally regulated diabetes wise won't they drink more water anyways?
    c) Will a cat drink more water if their insulin is too high or too low? ( Wondering if insulin needs increasing?)

Thank you.

2. C&C

C&C Member

Is there anyone who can share anything on the above please?

3. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

What hart problem does your kitty have?

I don't have much experience with Prozinc but I've used enalpril on one of my civies for a long time and never had a problem with diarrhea .

I've also used furosemide with Babu (my diabetic cat) ocationaly (never on a permanent basis) and also never had a diarrhea problem,he does pee a little bit more but as long as he's drinking enough water that shouldn't be a problem but as with any durietic you will need to keep an eye on him

The amount of insulin doesn't affect how much he pees but the high levels of blood glucose do, most of the cats will drink a lot of water and pee a lot until they start seeing low levels in order to know if the dose you are giving is too low or too high we would need to see your test results are you home testing?

allison and Bubbles likes this.
  4. C&C

C&C Member

Back in October 2017 the vet said my kitty had a heart murmur. It was a new vet and they reduced the insulin by 1 unit per day also. The kitty lost a little weight and went hypo on March 1st, 2018. It was at that time that the vet put her on Enalapril as her condition became grave. Did have a cardio dr. do tests on her. They also put her on furosemide at that time and she is still on it to help with what happened in early March. Her heart pills are 5 mg and her furo is 12.5mg daily. I do not know if they will continue with the furo yet but the heart pills they will. Right now her diarrhea has stopped and her peeing varies some days to me it seems more than what is in her food or she is drinking and today she peed some but do not think that she drank a lot on her own. We have not yet started testing but had the vet do some tests for us and you can find those under the prozinc menu -- http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...ing-it-right-question-for-78-year-cat.192876/

We have not started testing yet. She has been through a lot recently and we are considering it. We are trying to get a feel for how much does a cat drink or pee normally? What effect do these meds have on her peeing quantity wise? Since she has lost weight how does the glucose level pull from her fat and muscle and keep dumping water and glucose from her--we think that this is what had been happening but not sure if it still is. I know I read they can keep eating but still lose weight somehow.

To be cautious we started her out on 2 units then upped to 2.5 and now she is at 3.0 units in total daily. The vet tech based on their numbers wanted to increase her to 4.0 daily but we proceeded slowly to get to the 3.0 and she is now eating 2 cans plus a few treats of fancy feast 6 oz's daily which is a good start. Her weight is now today at 9.2 pounds so she is still dropping weight. She is walking around and can go to the bathroom on her own and eat on her own. So, we are now at the next stage her in trying to determine what to do next to be sure she continues to eat and gets her right dosage and is staying hydrated and not dumping glucose and losing more weight. It is not a easy task with some many things going on with our kitty--it is just so sad but we are doing what we can for her ---we have had her since September 2004 and since she is a rescue we aren't sure if she is 14.5 years old or 16.5 years old.

5. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

I understand you, is complicated (Babu has HCM hipertrophic cardiomyopathy)did the cardio vet mentioned the reason for her murmur?

presicely because of her complications is SUPER important that you monitor her glocose levels is the only way to make sure she's okay and avoid another hypo episode that can be very very dangerous, is not as hard as it seems once you stablish the routine and it would not ruin your relationship with her or stress her more but it will allow you to control her dose and her diabetes which I think is right now the first thing you have to address and getting it under control will help everything else sice it appears that her heart problem is being addressed by the vet and is kind of under control

She will probably keep on loosing weight until her glucose levels come down even if she eats a lot this is because the glucose in her blood won't let her cells use the nutrients so it's like she hadn't eat that's also the reason why she is also loosing muscle the extra glucose in her blood is causing her to be malnourished even though she's eating, also as a defense mechanism her body searches for water to try an eliminate this extra glucose through the urine thous the drinking and peeing, considering her uncontrolled diabetes, diarrhea and the diuretic she's taking is very important that you monitor her hydration, dehydration can cause a lot of problems

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
    allison and Bubbles likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.