Prozinc not brining BG down

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Beth & Jasmine, Feb 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beth & Jasmine

Beth & Jasmine New Member

Jasmine was on PZI receiving 1 unit 2x day. Switched to Prozinc yesterday starting with 1/2 unit 2x day and her BG is high starting at 400 this AM. Was 366 +2hrs and now 386 +4hrs (she did eat in between).
    Tried calling the vet and he's out til' Monday.
    Don't have much time to write more. Do you think I should give her the full 1 unit tonight?

2. Gator & H (GA)

Gator & H (GA) Well-Known Member

You can read this study:
    http://www.vetlearn.com/Media/Publicati ... 2_24_0.pdf

The bottom line is that 50 cats were switched to ProZinc from PZI Vet on a 1:1 basis and did well.

I switched H on a 1:1 and he did fine [no major problems]. HOWEVER one should approach the switch as a switch to a new insulin - that means lots of testing like it is a new insulin. And it may take time for you and your kitty to get used to the new insulin. Especially at the start of the switch H seemed very responsive to small changes in dosing. And we are on more ProZinc than PZI vet by 50-100% but that trend may have started before his switch - so it's hard to say it's the insulin, there are so many factors at work when it comes to H.

If you guys can put together a profile and a spread sheet, it would help us help you better.

3. Beth & Jasmine

Beth & Jasmine New Member

Ok. How do I do a profile and spread sheet?

4. Gator & H (GA)

Gator & H (GA) Well-Known Member

5. Ele & Blackie (GA)

Ele & Blackie (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome, Beth and Jasmine. I'm glad you are joining us here in PZI Land. Sounds like the .5 is not enough, but you might want to increase by .25 increments if you can instead of by .5 increments. I look forward to seeing Jasmine's picture and her spreadsheet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.