Prozinc syringes

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Iza, Jul 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iza

Iza Member

Hello again,

Poppy's glucose is still high, even after switching her completely to Mac's 1.1% carbs. We'll be doing another curve on Saturday and hope the vet will increase her dose, so we can finally see more yellows and blues. She's drinking a bit more, too, but eating well and occasionally playing.
    Her Prozinc syringes are running out and I was looking for a substitute here in UK, as the Prozinc ones are £46. I found few on VetUK, but they have U40 with different dosing - Prozinc have 12 units with 1/2 increments, and the ones at VetUK have 20 units per syringe, so I'm quite confused. They are also 0.5 ml, while Prozinc is 0.3. Does it make any difference or does 1 unit of insulin in any type of U40 syringe contain the same volume of liquid?
    Here is the link to the website:
    http://www.vetuk.co.uk/insulin-syringes-vetuk-insulin-syringes-c-141_154_2281
    Any advice would be very helpfull.

2. srk4cats

srk4cats Well-Known Member

I don't know about in the UK, but all u-40's should read the same, just the intervals between marks are different. I'm trying to find syringes that have half-unit marks so I can see it easier. The syringe that goes up to 20 is easier to read tnan the one that goes up to 40. I would call them or the vet to find out.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  3. Iza

Iza Member

Thank you srk3cats, I will send the email to the VetsUK shop, that's a good idea.

4. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

I may be wrong but a 0.5ml syringe will hold more but make the tiny doses a little more difficult than the 0.3ml syringe. Usually higher dose kitties will get the bigger syringes because they're dosing... higher ;). Here's a picture that might "show" better what I'm saying :)
    [​IMG]

Also, looking at Poppy's SS, you've been at 0.5U for a while and her numbers are not moving much. So:
    1. Are you testing for ketones?
    2. Would you be comfortable increasing to 0.75U?
    3. Can you squeeze in some before bed tests to see where she's going at night?
    You do not have to answer or follow through with my questions, I will not be offended :cat:

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  5. Iza

Iza Member

I'm not testing for ketones yet, but I had a look at the testing kits and need to start doing it. We're still recovering financially from when she was diagnosed, so it's hard to get money for additional kit at the moment. It should get better in few months, but if you could recommend a cheap ketone testing kit, it would be great. My vet was hesitant on increasing her dose since I was switching her diet. I thought going from 5.6 to 4.4 to 1.1% carbs would make a difference, it didn't. We checked her for bladder infection, but she's clear. She needs to have her teeth cleaned, there's a lot if plaque, but again money is a huge issue until October.
    The night testing is a problem, as I'm epileptic and need to get some sleep, but I'll try to get few tests around 11pm.
    I'll be doing another curve on Saturday and the vet said that if her numbers stay the same (and I think we won't see much change), she'll increase her dose.
    Yong, I was wondering if I could use the U100 instead for finetuning? It looks from your picture that the 30ml and 50ml could be interchageable. The Prozinc syringe is confusing, because it does not state ml but units. IMG_1049.JPG

6. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

You should be able to get ketone testing strips at any pharmacy...you can just use the ones for humans. I think they're fairly cheap at WalMart.

You can definitely use u100 needles, but if you do you have to use the Conversion Chart with it. If you decide to get u100s, make sure to put the u40s in a different room so you don't accidentally use the wrong needles one day!

ETA: For nighttime tests, do what you can. You do need to take care of yourself and your health as well!

7. Iza

Iza Member

This is the reply from VetUK store:
    Good Morning,

Thank you for your Email.

The VetUK 1ml syringes allow 40 units max and have clear graduations of 0.025ml.

We also sell a 0.5ml version that equates to allow 20 units max and have clear graduations of 0.025ml.

We do offer a satisfaction guarantee on all our own branded products so if you order the item and it does not work in the same way as your other syringes, we can offer you a credit to your online account to redeem off a future purchase.

Please do not hesitate to contact us should you require any further assistance.

Kind Regards,

Louise

Customer Service Advisor

VetUK

8. Iza

Iza Member

Thank you Rachel, I'll ask in the pharmacy. We don't have WalMart in UK, but I'm sure someone should have them. It's funny how human diabetes kits are cheaper than pets' ones.

9. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Ahhh right! I forgot you didn't have WalMart...yes just ask the pharmacy. They should be fairly cheap really as they're just urine strips. :)

10. Iza

Iza Member

I'm still debating on whether to get u100 or u40, as they're the same price. At one stage the vet asked if I could up the dose by 1/4 of unit, but it would be eyeballed using the Prozinc syringes, so she didn't want me to do it. Then I started changing Poppy's diet from Purina DM to Bozita to Mac's, so she waited for this to be settled. The u100 would allow for fine tuning using the chart. I don't think the vet would want me to up Poppy's dosage by myself, and I agree, so once she'll get my email with curve on Monday, she'll probaby increase the dose from 0.5 to 1 unit, I imagine.

11. Iza

Iza Member

I'll try to send my other half tomorrow to ask :). Thanks.

12. Yong & Maury GA

Yup like Rachel said, you can use the U-100s for fine tuning. All insulin is measured in units. I'll tag a couple UK'ers to help you with some syringe tips and best prices for ketone test strips @Elizabeth and Bertie @Diana&Tom

As for before bed tests, I don't mean for you to sacrifice your own sleep but for most people that means they can get a test between +2 and +4 of PM cycle ;). Definitely still have to take care of yourself. Any chance you could teach your other half to help learn to test? :) A few of us don't have that option as we live alone.

13. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I think you'll like the dosing flexibility and fine tuning that using U100 syringes allows. Re ketone test strips: as others have said, they're available in any human pharmacy and aren't very expensive.

Very important to get enough sleep for your own well being. Do what you can do in the evening - kitty will be OK. :)

14. Iza

Iza Member

I can easily do +4, that's the time I usually go to bed :). I tried to teach Andy the testing, and he said he would do it if I wasn't around, but he feels he's hurting Poppy and feels guilty. I think he's not ready yet. She can be difficult just before her meals, as she's hungry and impatient, so it takes both of us to do it gently and quickly. But otherwise she's great and patient. He's good at giving her the injection though.
    I asked Blair for advice and hope she'll reply to me, since she buys her syringes in the same shop. But I think I'll go for the u100's, seems the best option for smaller doses.
    I had a look at Amazon for ketone strips, there are some for under £9 for a 100. Is it just catching her pee and sticking the strip into it, or do I need another meter? I guess I've never done it before.

15. Kris & Teasel

You want urine ketone strips. A blood ketone meter works very well but it and its strips are $$$. To test urine for ketones you can try:
    • putting the strip into the urine stream as she's peeing
    • catching a little urine with a shallow, long-handled spoon held under her backside
    • putting a double layer of plastic food wrap over her favourite area of the litter box and pushing little indentations into it.

16. Iza

Iza Member

Thanks Kris, I think I'll order the u100's tonight, they seem better. And the price is SO much lower than Prozinc syringes. I'll order the ketone strips from Amazon too. Poppy will be looking at me funny when I'll be trying to catch her pee with a spoon :cat:.

Rachel and Yong & Maury GA like this.
  17. Yong & Maury GA

Hooray! :)
    Majority of kitties don't feel the poke on the ear and we don't do it to hurt them. I can't say all because I do have a "sensitive" boy :smuggrin:. Just try not to hit the vein ;). Many of us have gone through the ear and kitty doesn't even flinch:p.
    *I think* I heard of a couple members with very hungry kitties come PS time, so they would put a little food on a spoon to distract kitty while taking the PS test. This doesn't work so well if you need to stall. Also, as her BG gets in better control she should be less ravenous. What is her feeding schedule like?
    I just posted on Blair's thread since we've haven't heard from her for a bit, I do hope they are OK. We worry when people disappear after being active :(
    I see Kris clarified this part :smuggrin:. Maury did look at me funny the first time I slid the spoon in with him but continued his business ;)

Rachel, Kris & Teasel and Iza like this.
  18. Iza

Iza Member

Perfect, thank you so much! I worry about her sometimes, when she seems a bit spaced out, but the minute he sees the food she's all lively, so it must the constant high sugars. I was a bit disappointed that the food change did not lower the levels more, but she was already on Sheeba fine flakes in jelly, and these are low in carbs. It would be a different story if she was switched from dry, I guess.

19. Kris & Teasel

This is a challenging disease to treat but there's a lot of help for you here. :)

Iza likes this.
  20. Iza

Iza Member

I guess it's like with people, once you start you have to finish :D . Blair had some tough time recently and I hope she's ok.
    Poppy eats 120g of Mac's (the 1.1% carbs) twice a day just before 7am and 7pm, but while I'm at home writing my thesis she gets a small bit around 1, when her brother Taigi askes for food. But I'll be starting work at the end of August, so it will be only twice a day feeding.
    I went right through the ear few times, she was fine. I think it's the: Gimme food now! thing that's the problem when trying to test her before meals. But Andy is a sensitive guy who loves those two munchkins to bits and he finds the whole diabetes thing tough. He'll get used to it though.

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  21. Iza

Iza Member

I really appreciate all the help I get here. You guys are brilliant and the advice is always what I need. Thank you.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  22. Yong & Maury GA

Indeed.
    You could experiment with catfoodsicles. Freeze portions with water in ice cube trays. Pop a couple out on the way out the door to work ;). Try it out while you're home and put them out when you'd leave for work. Will keep Taigi happy too :cat:

23. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Just be certain you label the spoon you use for ketone tests. You DEFINITELY don't want to mix it up with other spoons! :rolleyes:

24. Iza

Iza Member

Taigi is a different kettle of fish, very fussy fellow, loved Poppy's food once, next time turned his nose up, but you could never be sure what's in his head regarding food :p. At the moment it's Sheeba or Felix. The more healthy the food is the more he dislikes it. We did stop giving him dry after Poppy was diagnosed, so hopefully we'll only have one furrball with diabetes:).

25. Iza

Iza Member

Oh God, imagine! :facepalm:

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  26. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Hi Iza, the VetUK syringes are just fine. And they are a heck of a lot cheaper than the 'official' Prozinc ones.
    They have a larger barrel and so can hold more insulin (.5ml instead of .3ml). The syringe needles are the same gauge/thickness though and are almost the same length. The VetUK ones may be a tad shorter. Many UK'ers use these syringes for Prozinc and Caninsulin.

If you find that your kitty needs really small or 'in between' doses, and those are a bit fiddly to measure, then you could consider getting different syringes altogether; U100 syringes (made to use with U100 insulin), but used with the conversion chart that we have here.
    Here's the U100's that UK'ers use:
    https://webcache.googleusercontent....-U100/dp/B00K86ZO20 &cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

Waving to you from sunny Surrey! :bighug:

Iza and Yong & Maury GA like this.
  27. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Can you make a video please...? :D

Before you try the 'spoon under the cat's bum' method you may just want to try crumpling cling film in the litter tray to see if that's easier. Sometimes the cat doesn't even notice that the cling film is there. And the pee catches really nicely in the little creases. You only need a small drop for a test.

Iza likes this.
  28. Kris & Teasel

Teasel's spoon has his name on it and it stays right by the litter box.

Rachel, Iza and Elizabeth and Bertie like this.
  29. Iza

Iza Member

Fantastic Elizabeth! Thank you so much. Yes, I will order those u100 ones from the link, it might be safer for her to go up or down slower, as she seems to be sensitive to Prozinc. Price is so much better, I wish my vet told me that at the start.
    Glad you have a sunny weather in Surrey, South Yorkshire is a bit cloudy, but not too bad at all :).
    Thank you again!

30. Iza

Iza Member

I'll try that. We use a German clumping litter, very efficient in soaking the pee, but she usually uses corners, so I'll put cling film in there. Thanks :).
    Video might be a challenge, but I'll try my best, we can send it off to the TV show for some cash :D .

31. Yong & Maury GA

Same for Maury since I got the idea from Kris ;)

Iza likes this.
  32. Iza

Iza Member

Good tip. Otherwise the cereal would taste weird in the morning ;D

33. Yong & Maury GA

34. Iza

Iza Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.