ProZinc-Taking Things Slow And Results So Far

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by AshleyDiamond, Jun 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AshleyDiamond

AshleyDiamond Member

Hello everyone! This is my first post on the message board. So a little background info. Our Tootsie is a male polydactyl tabby and is 11 years old. We also just recently lost our 11 year old Chihuahua to Lymphoma Cancer. It wasn't even 2 months after losing him that Tootsie was diagnosed with Diabetes. Our initial symptoms was excessive water intake and lots of pee. We had a full work up done on him and he was diagnosed on 5/5/18, We started him on Novalin N, 2 units twice a day. He had a past history with urinary issues, he never ended up fully blocked but did need to stay in the hospital for a week with a catheter. That's when his diet was changed to Hills Prescription C/D hard and wet. He never had any urinary issues after that. With that said his new vet didn't want to switch his diet. He kept that the same and tried the Novalin N. We seen no improvement. He ended up going up to 3units twice a day and still nothing. Everytime he went back to the vet his numbers were higher and he was losing a little bit of weight at a time. We then switched to Prozinc and 2units twice a day, and still no diet change. He's been on this for a few weeks now but I knew nothing was changing because of the drinking and peeing. I came across this site and a few other Facebook sites and that's lead us to where we are now.

This is our current update as of tonight... (I hope I have his spreadsheet linked to my account correctly)

So this is what Tootsies chart looks like since Friday evening when we began at home testing. We have been slowly making the transition with his diet since Friday. He started out with eating Hills Prescription C/D hard and wet food along with Royal Canin Urinary SO wet food. Then we eliminated the hard food completely and continued the C/D and SO for a couple days. Then we elimated those completely and started a medium % carb of fancy feast and friskies wet for a couple days (they were about 12% and 13%, where his others were in the high 20s) Now tomorrow we are starting the low carb, under 10% of the fancy feast and friskes wet and hopefully this will remain his diet from here on out. You can see the differences in his readings already from the small switches. I'm praying and have my fingers crossed things start to improve even more and ultimately find remission. What do you think so far?

JanetNJ likes this.
  2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Ashley and Tootsi, welcome to FDMB:)
    I am sorry you recently lost your chihuahua.......it is very hard losing our furry family.
    You have made a great start in Testing the blood sugar levels (BSLs) as this is the only way to really keep Tootsi safe.
    Good job in changing over the food gradually like that down to the 10% or less low carb food which is perfect for FD. The wet food will be much better for his urinary issues than dry food also as there is so much more moisture in the wet food....78% for wet and 7% for dry. Cats need lots of water.
    Once you have changed over to the low carb wet food you will be able to see how his numbers are going. ....and you will be able to see if you need to increase/decrease the dose of insulin or stay the same. Just be aware that changing over to low carb wet food can lower the numbers quite a bit so it is great you are testing while you are doing this.
    You might like to start posting over on the Prozinc forum. Everyone there uses either Prozinc or PZI so they will be able to advise and support you. Here is the link
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/prozinc-pzi.24/

You might like to set up your signature which will appear at the bottom of your posts and gives us information about Tootsi. Go to the top right of this page and click on your user name. You will find signature. Click on it and write in your name and Tootsi's name, age, date of diagnosis, other health issues, type and dose of insulin, type of glucose meter you are using, country you live in.

Well done too on setting up the Spreadsheet! :)
    You will find everyone here very supportive and knowledgeable about FD as we all live with it 24/7.
    I am going to tag @Djamila as she uses Prozinc

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
    AshleyDiamond likes this.
  3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Welcome! Wow you are on the ball getting testing started, a chart up and running and switching foods. I think you're going to find the food switch makes a difference. Good luck

AshleyDiamond likes this.
  4. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Welcome! I responded on your ProZinc forum post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.