Prozinc vial issues

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Alice and Tabby, Feb 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alice and Tabby

Alice and Tabby Member

I saw on the Prozinc website video to inject air into the vial before you take the insulin out. I hadn't been doing that with the Idexx. I don't know if I just forgot or not. Is everyone else who is using Prozinc doing that? I am also getting some insulin coming out while I have the vial upside down drawing the insulin. Not sure if this is because of the cheap rubber top or the injecting air? Anyone else having the same problems?

2. Donna & Buddha

Donna & Buddha Member

I watched that video too ... I inject air when I remember, which isn't every time.

I have had leakage too. My vial has been stabbed many times now, and it looks like a few spots must get hit fairly often.

I think it was a video on the Cornell website that shows to wipe the top of the vial with an alcohol swab before puncturing. Does anyone do that?

3. Gator & H (GA)

Gator & H (GA) Well-Known Member

I had a conversation once with a guy at UltiMed Inc. - the makers of u-40 syringes. I was having difficulties with their syringes making air bubbles. Anyway he said the putting air into the bottle was actually not advised any longer and if I remember correctly something about European nursing standards now calling for not putting air into the bottle first. Anyway, I don't put air into the bottle but it does get in after I remove the needle though the hole it just created. I do make sure to try to keep the top of the bottle clean by scrubbing with a alcohol swab and putting a drop of alcohol on it and letting it rest until evaporated.

But just because this guy told me thin and I don't out air in doesn't mean I'm doing it the wrong way, it is just more habit than anything at this point.

4. Nancy and Cody

Nancy and Cody Well-Known Member

I always inject air into the vial, of every type of insulin (3 or 4) that I've ever used. I guess that is just how I was taught. I always get a small bubble at the bottom of the syringe, but i just try to ignore it. I used to flick it but then I thought I maybe i was being too rough so I quit. At 5 or 7 or 9 or 12u I can't see how it makes much difference :roll:

To avoid that drop that comes out, try sticking the needle in off to the side where the rubber is a bit thicker and pull it out really slowly.

I have never done that alcohol wipe but thats a really good idea... thanks.

5. Karen & Angus(GA)

Karen & Angus(GA) Member

I never use alcohol on the top of the bottle. I was told it could make the rubber brittle. I do inject air equal to the amount of insulin I am going to remove. It helps with the drawing up process. If you don't inject air, you are creating a vacuum when you draw out the insulin. It probably doesn't matter with the tiny doses we use for cats. However, if you inject more air than the dose you are drawing, the insulin will be forced out of the puncture holes from previous draws.

6. Alice and Tabby

Alice and Tabby Member

Maybe I will put air in every couple days or so. It seems with the leakage maybe I have too much air in there. I will see if it makes a difference today.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.