Prozinc vs Vetsulin

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi, Apr 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi Member

I have been real hung up on trying to get Gretchen on Prozinc and am now online looking at Vetsulin. It’s quite a bit less expensive if you go with vial rather than pens. Can somebody or a bunch of you tell me what the big difference between the 2 is?

I just know on the Novilin she is going up and down and up and down and up and down...,,,,,,

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

3. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

Is Vetsulin available in the US? Thanks @FurBabiesMama I’ll have a look!

4. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

Hmmm. I think I’ll stay “stuck on” my Prozinc crusade

5. FurBabiesMama

6. FurBabiesMama

7. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

8. Amanda and a Loudogg

Amanda and a Loudogg Well-Known Member

Hello! My buddy Lou is currently on Vetsulin. While I know this insulin does have a bad rap, it has worked wonders for some people (JanetNJ's CC went into remission while one it). I'm not an expert on Prozinc, but I have been doing research as we're thinking about switching to another insulin.

Both insulins are what we call in-and-out insulins, meaning the dose lasts the 12-hour cycle and is done by the time the next dose comes around. Vetsulin acts the quickest, nadirs generally occurring between +4 and +6. Prozinc's nadir can be a bit later, +4 to +7 according to the manual (I was thinking it was more +6 to +8 - whoops, haha!). I use U40 syringes with Vetsulin.

One of the biggest things I personally like with Vetsulin is you can be versatile with the dosing times if necessary. I have to work doubles once a week for a month every other month (ugh, that's a mouthful, isn't it?!), and I have to dose 2-3 hours late at times. Because Vetsulin is an in-and-out insulin, I can dose as needed (lowering the dose as necessary to avoid adversely effecting the next AMPS). It works for me. I know the biggest issue people can face with Vetsulin is big drops and the early nadir can mean they spend more time at higher numbers. But as you know, every cat is different. Loudogg reacted beautifully on Vetsulin when he was first diagnosed. Although his insulin needs have changed since then, I still think it can be a worthwhile choice.

I have no idea what Prozinc costs, but I get my Vetsulin from my vet and it costs $54 a vial. The manufacturer does say you should get a new vial every 42(?) days or something. I've used mine for 2 months and I think I've heard of others using theirs for longer.

Sorry about the book, haha. I hope it helps! :cat:

Megan and Tessie likes this.
  9. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

It does...thank you! I decided on Prozinc and just ordered my first vial and new U40 syringes. I can’t wait to see if it works better than this Novilin she is on.

Tonya A likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.