Prozinc

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Dawn12345, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Exactly! It takes the kitty's body time to get used to outside insulin being given and for it to begin responding (more or less) predictably. Getting to a point we'd call "regulation" can take many, many months. There's a reason why we call this "a marathon and not a sprint". :)

Dawn12345 likes this.
  2. Dawn12345

Dawn12345 Member

I have a question If anyone can help me. My parents cat ate wet food like no tomorrow. Pretty sure she stuffed herself lol! However she got sick with a fur ball and ever since then she will not eat it, giving her pate fancy feast like little girl. So I tried the regular friskies like we had before nope won't touch it. We picked up the dry food due to little girl spiking. I put the dry food down lastnight like I always do. Here my parents cat..is making sure no one sees her and she's eating? I also found her nails grown a but into her paw pad I clipped them, could this be a cause of not eating or do I need to bring her into a different room?

3. Kris & Teasel

You have to do what you can to keep Little Girl away from kibble. Re nails: older cats can develop thicker nails that curve into a paw pad as they grow. I'm sure it's uncomfortable so clipping is good.

4. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Food aversions after puking are pretty common. I would check the food list for something else that will be healthy for Little Girl and might have a different texture for the other cat. Give it a few days, and then slowly reintroduce the pate.

Does the other cat eat all at once? You might be able to put her in the bathroom while she's eating, and then put the food away when she's done?

5. Dawn12345

Dawn12345 Member

Cannot give any other canned food fancy feast pate..is the only one that doesn't have like rice in it which sends little girls bg through the roof. Any kind of gravy actually. However all cats are eating fine now. Little girls bg was 317 at amps I gave her 2 u which thinkING maybe should of gave 1.75 at +6 later she dropped to 61 then she ate we retested at went to 84. When it was time for pmps +11 hours she was 208 I thought well I don't think I should give insulin she ate and right at her shot time I tested she was 244 I still didn't give the shot 2u, even 1.75 u would of sent her crashing. +6 hours later she was suprisingly 365 she ate some food.. I'm sure by noon today she will be close to 400 something noon is her amps. Did I do the right thing by not giving shot?

6. Kris & Teasel

I think that 244 was high enough for you to give 1.75 u. At some point you have to experiment with giving insulin on lower than usual PSs. For now, a PS of 200 or above *should* be high enough for a full dose. You always have the option if time permits of stalling without feeding for 30 minutes, retesting, and if BG is rising, give the full dose. If it's a little lower, say 180 to 200, you could try shaving off 0.25 u for now. If it's 150 to 180 you can post here for help.

Try to avoid going from 2 u to 1.75 u to 2 u, etc. as you've done recently on high (pink or red) PSs. If a kitty is volatile even those tiny changes can increase erratic numbers. Another thing to avoid as much as you can (discussed above) is giving kibble. If she's very senstive to even a little rice in low carb food, kibble is much stronger in its impact on BG. The up side is that you have a good tool for steering her up if she drops too low. Keep a can or two of wet food on hand that has rice or gravy in it to use a teaspoon at a time if she has a lime green sometime. Use that instead of kibble. If you're worried she's too low and you have to leave, mix a little bit of that type of wet food into her Fancy Feast to up the carb level to keep her safe - again, instead of kibble.

You've made a lot of progress the last month: no blacks, more yellow and blue, a bit of dark green. Just keep up the consistent dosing methods and post here for help if you need it. :)

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    Djamila and Dawn12345 like this.
  7. Dawn12345

Dawn12345 Member

Thank you! We took all cats off kibble they stick thier nose up to it and I bought an automatic feeder for each cat

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  8. Kris & Teasel

Excellent! :smuggrin:

Dawn12345 likes this.
  9. Dawn12345

Dawn12345 Member

Little girl is now out of kidney failure, they are stable! Yay. Her diabetes in her mid is pulling blue! So in the 100s and her amps is 300s and her pmps is 300s as well. We have been stable so far at 1.75 u :) have gone down couple at 1.50 u we will see. Would be great since the infection is going away maybe her pancreas will kick in.

Rachel likes this.
  10. Kris & Teasel

Great news about her kidneys! :) If you feel game you could try her at 2 u. Lower BG is better for kidneys.

Dawn12345 likes this.
  11. Dawn12345

Dawn12345 Member

I was in 2 u at 300s it brings her in the 90s at her mid but if she goes any higher in the 300s I'll be doing 2 u again. :)

12. Kris & Teasel

Those high dark green 90s are what you want. Ignore the high PSs. The dose is assessed according to the lows it produces. The PS is used to know if BG is high enough to give insulin, not to determine the dose - unless a PS is much lower than usual.

Dawn12345 likes this.
  13. Dawn12345

Dawn12345 Member

Ohhhhh okay! Well we were trying a new canned cat food called purrrfect bistro they liked it at first then hated it lol! However this might be good for other diabetic kitties little girls bg hardly rose from this food lastnight she however due to not wanting to eat much of it was at 72 we were feEding last of ff and then rest of night bistro. +6 hours after amps 72 and pmps was 174 we did a ns ofc. Went out and bought FF so she could eat was worried about her not eating we will see how much she rose by amps today will be interesting.

14. Kris & Teasel

Here are some things to try if the PS is lower than usual:
    • if close to 200 (maybe 180 and above), stall without feeding for 30 minutes and retest. If BG has risen try the full dose.
    • if in the 150 to 180 range, try stalling up to an hour and if rising do the above. If BG isn't rising much give a reduced dose. How much to reduce is always a conundrum. Maybe try a 2/3 dose.
    • if BG is much lower (say, 100 to 120) give token dose - size depends on what the normal dose is. It's best to avoid skipping if you can.

15. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

That was a nice little cycle yesterday!

One house keeping note: If you put the comment on your spreadsheet in the "notes" column, it keeps the cells a little more condensed. When they stretch out like this, we can only see a couple of lines of data at a time, and that makes it more difficult to find trends and patterns. Alternatively, you can also right click on a cell, and then scroll down to "insert note" towards the bottom of the pop up menu. It gives you a little box you can type into. Then the note stays right with the piece of data you want it connected to.

Dawn12345 and Kris & Teasel like this.
  16. Dawn12345

Dawn12345 Member

She was 356 at amps. I did not shoot because of the fact she was not eating her food. We went out and got some more fancy feast by this time it was 2 hours past her shoot time.

17. Kris & Teasel

You have a 1.5 u dose shown on your SS for this AM. Was this given 2 hours late? If so I suggest you make a note of it on your SS in the notes section.

18. Dawn12345

Dawn12345 Member

I ment to reply after the pmps would of been 2 hours late if we gave her insulin that night due to her not liking that other canned food we went right out to get more FF.