Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PuffMommy

PuffMommy New Member

Hi. I do cat rescue and I was taking care of a cat for a friend and he became ill. I took him to the vet and he was in diabetic keto acidosis. While there he was also diagnosed with CKD and FIV. The chances of him getting adopted are of course slim. He's young too only two years old So I stepped in because I can give him the most appropriate home. But I'm freaking out Insulin twice a day? Three low carb meals a day? A glucometer? And that's just one of his conditions! I'm determined however to give him the best life I can.

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Welcome! How loving of you to take him on. The insulin shots and glucose testing will become routine sooner than you can imagine right now.

3. Callie & Patches

Callie & Patches Well-Known Member

You can get a meter and strips at Walmart. Most people here get one for humans. If you want a meter for pets, Pettest is good and is inexpensive. I bought mine from Amazon.

4. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Welcome. I know it seems overwhelming and scary at first, but it gets easier. Lots of information here, so you can read, refer back to and learn the "sugar dance". Also this is a community of caring people, some newer, some very knowledgeable and experienced that will help. Look around the forums, a good place to start is the information on the home page, then the Health Links/FAQs forum. Puff is so precious, look at that adorable face.

5. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.