? Puffy belly

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Frank's Mom, Mar 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frank's Mom

Frank's Mom Member

One of the things the vet told me to watch for is a puffy belly. I feel like Franks is puffy, but maybe just because he's gained some weight? (He was 2 pounds underweight at diagnosis last week.) Any signs to watch for that go along with the puffy belly issue? Also...what's the fear with puffy belly? (She didn't say what it would hurt, just to watch out for it, and I can't find info online about it.)

2. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

I haven't heard of "puffy belly" but when first diagnosed my old vet told me to watch for one sided swelling. I assumed that was to watch for certain organ swelling? I've noticed that after a meal Chuck's belly is a bit distended but I think it's only showing because he's too thin. Just had a vet check up today and she said he's doing well. Best advice I can give is call your vet office and ask what they meant about puffy belly and what it indicates.

Frank's Mom likes this.
  3. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Puffy belly can be a sign of serious issues like organ failure, infection, or ascites but it should be more obvious if is actually a puffy belly, not just bloating or full of food. Like a healthy weight female who is bloated, you could probably feel it if you poked their stomach or they had a skin tight shirt while slightly puffy but you would definitely notice it if she's 8-9 months pregnant.

StephG likes this.
  4. Frank's Mom

Frank's Mom Member

Thanks. He's eating fine, acting normal, and using the bathroom so for now I'll let it be. We go back to the vet Thursday so unless things change I'll just talk to them then. Just paranoid here....lol....which I think my million of poats with questions kind of shows that.

StephG likes this.
  5. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

I'm the paranoid type too! :oops:

6. Yong & Maury GA

I think a lot of us probably are, Steph, that's why we are active here! :bighug:

StephG likes this.
  7. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Helicopter kitty-moms, all the way!

StephG and Yong & Maury GA like this.
  8. Yong & Maury GA

Don't forget, we have some kitty-dads here too :)

StephG, Squalliesmom and Frank's Mom like this.
  9. Frank's Mom

Frank's Mom Member

That's right...the "crazy cat lady" stereotype is so sexist!

Jared and StephG like this.
  10. Frank's Mom

Frank's Mom Member

20170321_222529.jpg You can kind of see how his belly sticks out here. I'm adding water to his food, though, so I the more i think about it, I think he's just bloated from over eating.

StephG likes this.
  11. Squalliesmom

He looks pretty normal to me. My Squallie's belly sticks out a lot more than that. Frank is so cute!:)

Frank's Mom, Phoebes (GA) and StephG like this.
  12. Phoebes (GA)

Phoebes (GA) Well-Known Member

I am glad you said that we were just discussing phoebes belly bulging from the same side and was getting scared. I know it just because she us so skinny, we hadn't seen her belly in 7 years. Glad to know she's not alone.

13. Squalliesmom

Is her belly bulging on just one side? Squallie's bulges out (quite a bit) on both sides. I just think he's fat, lol.

14. jackie hill

jackie hill Member

Smooch looks like she is about to give birth and is an indoor cat lol so just fat for smooch lol

Squalliesmom likes this.
  15. Squalliesmom

Same for Squallie. He's heavy, too. He used to be a long, lean kitty - th0se days are long gone, lol!

16. jackie hill

jackie hill Member

IMG_2412.JPG

This is when we got Smooch 1 and a half years ago

Squalliesmom likes this.
  17. Squalliesmom

What a beautiful girl!:)

18. jackie hill

jackie hill Member

Thank you and she knows it lol I only ever take old cats xx her predecessor was 18 when we took him

Squalliesmom likes this.
  19. Squalliesmom

That's wonderful!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.