Pulsing with Antibiotics instead of Dental

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by lynn_pooh_tigger, Sep 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lynn_pooh_tigger

lynn_pooh_tigger New Member

Good afternoon

It's been some time since I posted to the board. Pooh Bear had a nice long time OTJ but is back from the Falls. Ah well, we are doing OK with our Lantus.

One of the things we are looking at though are her teeth. They could be worse but they are not great. In a perfect world, we would have a dental. Unfortunately, she also has Renal issues so I will not put her under unless there were literally no other options. She is 14.

My dentist suggested pulsing her 1 week a month with Clindamycin

I would use the liquid form twice a day.

Has anyone done that/had success ??

Anyone want to share.

Any other ideas or options ?

Anyone to weigh on this vs. Clavamox

Thanks in Advance

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

If she is not painful, you might try brushing the teeth. Per Cat Info the tartar hardens into plaque within 3 days.

If you lightly cook them first to knock out any bacteria, raw chicken gizzards may help mildly scurb the teeth.

Sometimes, it is possible to do mild sedation plus regional nerve blocks. This may minimize the chemical impact on the kidneys.

What level of renal disease does she have? A specialty vet practice may be able to tackle the dental; what city and state are you in.

3. dian and wheezer

dian and wheezer Well-Known Member

BJ, this is Lynn who was at the reunion...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.