Pumpkin vs. Miralax

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Squeakycats, Sep 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Squeakycats

Squeakycats Member

Hi, all! My vet is recommending that we try adding a little more fiber to my kitty's diet. She initially suggested pumpkin, but when I said "Are the carbohydrates in that an issue?" she realized she wasn't sure and suggested Miralax instead. He isn't constipated--she just thinks this might help keep his blood sugar more level and perhaps make him feel more full (he needs to lose a couple of pounds). From what I can find here in the forums, it sounds like people use both of these--generally for constipated cats. I'm willing to give it a try--doesn't seem risky, given the small quantities we're talking about--but I wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts about which would be better to try...

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Squeakycats likes this.
  3. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

Besides pumpkin, I also use ground flax seeds added to his food.

Squeakycats likes this.
  4. Lillie

Lillie Member

Not sure how Miralax would make your cat feel more full?? Maybe she was referring to the fiber content in pumpkin. I've used both. My kitty gets pureed pumpkin daily in his food due to his IBD and only if gets really constipated the Miralax. I have noticed though that if he is given too much pumpkin his stools will get awfully loose. It takes a while to see what amount works the best for your cat.

Squeakycats likes this.
  5. Squeakycats

Squeakycats Member

Thanks, everyone! It seems like a little pumpkin could be ok. I hadn't thought of flaxseed--he absolutely will not let me put fish oil of any kind in his food; maybe the omegas in flaxseed would be good for him.

6. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

I don't think your vet understands Miralax. It isn't a 'fiber' and will not make kitty feel fuller. Psyllium husk, pumpkin, flaxseed - those are fiber.

Squeakycats likes this.
  7. Squeakycats

Squeakycats Member

Yes, it's a bit disturbing...she only mentioned it when I asked about the pumpkin and said they use both in cats that have megacolon... maybe she was just sort of flustered...but still. This is why I ask about almost anything I'm unfamiliar with here! Sigh. I really like this vet; she has been very supportive of my choices about his diet and diabetes management.

8. Lillie

Lillie Member

Maybe she was confusing miralax with metamucil?

Squeakycats likes this.
  9. Squeakycats

Squeakycats Member

No, sadly...I asked about that, and she said (correctly, I think?) that it has some kind of flavoring or sweetener added that makes it unsuitable for cats...

10. Lillie

Lillie Member

Hmmm- that is a little disturbing.

Squeakycats likes this.
  11. katiesmom

katiesmom Member

You can get get the same ingredient that is in metamucil without the additives. Psyllium Husks powder. I put it in my cat's food. This is what I get, been buying it for years.
    Yerba Prima Psyllium Husks

Squeakycats likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.