Pure Pumpkin...Good or Bad

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Debra and Yoyo, Dec 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Debra and Yoyo

Debra and Yoyo Well-Known Member

Hello,
    Is pure pumpkin good or bad for a diabetic cat? Only ingredient is pumpkin. The can shows 10grams or 4% for 3.5 servings of a 15 oz can. Of course these servings are for humans. I would only give about 2 teaspoons to 3 teaspoons. My cat likes pumpkin, go figure, and it helps his digestion system.
    Any feed back will be greatly appreciated!

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

It is fine to give a little plain pumpkin to help with digestion.

3. Debra and Yoyo

It doesn't raise his BG? On line has so many different things said about pumpkin. Some articles say it is good and other articles say it is high on the glycemic food content.

4. FurBabiesMama

It does have carbs, so it can impact glucose. I know it is often recommended here, in small amounts, for constipation or diarrhea. I had to give it to Mia back when she ate Fancy Feast, and I do not remember seeing an obvious impact on her glucose. I personally would not just give it for a treat or give large amounts, but I would use it for digestive reasons, if ever needed again.

Here's what Dr Pierson's says on it at catinfo.org:
    "Many people use pumpkin (canned – plain….not pumpkin pie filling with added sugar and spices) but some cats do not like it. I prefer guar gum because it is more convenient and is not an unnecessary source of carbohydrates for our carnivores. It lasts forever (it is not perishable) and most cats readily eat it when mixed into their food. If you want to try pumpkin, use 1/2 – 1 teaspoon 2-3 times per day mixed into their food."

Every cat reacts differently to things, so you may just have to give it then do some testing to determine the impact.

5. Debra and Yoyo

Thank you very much for all the information. I will look into guar gum.

6. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

I gave my FD cat Sheba pumpkin 1 teaspoon twice a day for years and it had no impact on her BSLs.
    I think its very good.

7. FurBabiesMama

Here's Dr. P's dosing recommendation:
    "Soluble fiber such as guar gum: Start with 1/16 tsp once or twice-daily (use one half of a 1/8 tsp measuring spoon) – add extra water (1-2 tablespoons) to the meal or an amount just short of your cat refusing to eat the food. Fiber absorbs water like a sponge and then swells thereby adding bulk to the feces. Therefore, we want to add extra water to the food."

I am assuming constipation is the issue? You may want to read the info on it on catinfo.org: https://catinfo.org/?s=constipation#Constipation

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.