? Purina DM dry vs Fancy Feast Pate

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Panic, Apr 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Hope there isn't a limit to posting questions per day, if so I apologize! There's just something I've been wondering about for the past week or so.

Kitty was diagnosed a couple weeks ago and the vet ordered Purina DM wet and dry for me. They said I could buy either one or both but dry was recommended. I've been doing research since I first learned of her diagnosis and while I don't want to be questioning a senior vet and their knowledge, I've read multiple times over in the past couple weeks that dry is a no-go.

I did end up purchasing the dry anyway just because for now I really don't want to be challenging my vet's advice so soon and on something I know barely anything about, but my cat is already not too interested in the food. Prior to diagnosis she ate mostly dry with the weekly wet food meal so she's fine with both types. The vet told me she has a slim to none chance of remission (her first glucose curve was Monday and it pretty much stayed in the 4-500 range) but I do want to do what's best for her. She also stated in all her years as a vet only one cat has ever gone into remission.

Since she's only been on Purina DM dry for a week so far, I do feel like it would be an easier transition to switch her to wet early, but again, I don't want to screw around with anything and make things worse. She just started yesterday on 1 unit of insulin twice daily. She will have another curve on Monday.

I did purchase a box of Fancy Feast Classic Pate (that she loves) but haven't given her any since Sunday (before her curve). What is my best course of action? Do I purchase Purina DM wet instead, do I mix DM dry with Fancy Feast, or ditch DM for Fancy Feast altogether? As I said, kitty is already not too thrilled with the food change, and since she started on insulin her hunger is finally quelling so she's starting to get picky again.

2. Dusty Bones

Dusty Bones Member

Fancy Feast is one of the best low carb affordable wet foods you can find for a diabetic kitty. DM dry is terrible and most will tell you any dry food is bad. Have you looked at Dr. Pierson's food list at http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/dr-pierson-new-food-chart.174147/ ? Some good food info there. But back to FF or DM... go with FF, your kitty needs a low carb food to stabilize her BG.

3. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Wow thank you for the chart, that's a lot of information to pore over! Curious why it isn't recommended via vets more, from what I've read most go with Purina DM.

4. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

I responded to your other post originally about finding a way to inject the insulin. Yes, the FF is better, but changing from all dry to all wet low carb needs to be done gradually. And you should ideally be testing first, to see how the insulin is affecting kitty and to help prevent a hypo.
    We used to feed Idjit both, and when we eliminated the dry, with insulin therapy his BG went right down! I caught him going too low and was able to intervene. Your vet cannot predict that your cat has no chance of remission, that remains to be seen.

AliceMeowliss (GA) likes this.
  5. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Thank you for the response! Since I am not home testing yet, should I be sticking to the Purina DM and at her next curve on Monday bring this up with my vet for how to safely switch over?

6. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

7. Sybil and Zoe

Sybil and Zoe Member

I tend to think it is more like nutrition in human MDs, it historically has not been given much if any time in med school. And then there is the fact that Vets can make a percentage off the sales of the Purina DM where as they do not for recommending grocery store pet food. I want to believe it is more of the fact they just dont know enough and haven't taken the time to study the dietary issues of their diabetic clients.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.