Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barbara and kitty Sam

Barbara and kitty Sam New Member

Thanks to all who sent such helpful replies to my recent question about diet for a pre-diabetic cat. Now I have another question:

I've taken a look at the chart of canned foods on Janet and Binky's site and was wondering why Purina DM wasn't listed. I understand this is not the best food to feed a diabetic cat (organ meat, etc.), but I'd be interested in seeing how it compares with other--supposedly better--foods. Would the company not release nutrition information? Just curious...

Barbara

2. Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin

Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin Well-Known Member

3. Barbara and kitty Sam

Barbara and kitty Sam New Member

Thanks, Vicky. I'll do that.

Barbara

4. Nancy and Cody

Nancy and Cody Well-Known Member

Please don't throw stones at me. ;-)

Because I feed it almost exclusively (with 100% chicken breast added ) I called the company, twice, and they were perfectly happy to supply me with the dry matter basis of their food. With a little help from Janet, here is the data on the new silver top cans, which is different form the old gold top cans:

the new DM contains
    35% of calories from protein
    60% of calories from fat
    5% of calories from carbohydrate
    262 mg phosphorus/100 calories

Janet doesn’t like the fat content and she doesn’t like liver as the 1st ingredient. I add 1/4 can of Before Grain 100% chicken breast to every can in hopes of improving it a bit.

I need a very consistent recipe because of our multitude of health issues. Cody inhales this everyday.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.