Purina Glucotest

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Olivia and Coconut, Aug 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Olivia and Coconut

Olivia and Coconut New Member

Has any one had occasion to use the Glucotest Strips that are put in the litter? Coconut had very low numbers on his tests. He has been on one unit of PZI and Fancy Feast low carb, no gluten. He went hypo for the first time on 7 august. I did not shoot and got him out of it with the syrup routine.
    My vet said that he would need less than one unit. Since his tests were good, he said let's try the Glucotest. Coconut has always had ear problems needing meds so he is very adverse to touching. So I have difficulty with ear testing regularly. So vet said try this, it is not a diagnosis but only an indicator. Call if shows possible high.
    Well, I am giving it a try. I am having trouble judging the colors. So wondered if anyone had any info.

Olivia and Coconut and civie, Lucky

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Olive,

This product is like the urine testing strips used by many of the posters here to determine if their cat's glucose is way high, usually when they are trying to learn to hometest or when their numbers are running high for whatever reason. Hometesting is a much better way to keep track of your cat's progress. It will tell you what Coconut's bg levels are, right before you are read to give a shot. And midway during the cycle, it will help you determine if your dosage leaves her high or low. The urine testing will just give you a general picture - in basic terms, because the glucose has gone all the way through the cat by the time it gets to the urine. It will not help you decide what the insulin is doing in her body at the moment and when it is safe or not safe to shoot or how much.

Have you tried poking her paws? There are several people here who have cats with sensitive ears and they use this method. Hopefully, they will be along with ideas.

3. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

As mentioned, its too crude a test to help you avoid overdosing if your cat is already borderline. ..... can we help you with your testing routine?

4. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

Most people here use KetoDiastik (sp?) test strips from the Human pharmacy. The strips show the presence of ketones and glucose in the urine. You dip a test strip into a fresh puddle of urine (many ways to do this, especially if you have a cat who doesn't like to be watched using the litter box) and compare the color change to the chart on the bottle.

Urine testing isn't as accurate than blood glucose testing. Glucose builds up in the bladder until it is emptied. So the glucose reading is kind of "old" whereas with a blood glucose test you know what the glucose level is at that very moment.

Is paw pad testing an option for taking a sample of blood from? Some cats will tolerate that better than ear testing.

5. Olivia and Coconut

Thanks for the advice. I am about to go away for 5 days - family reunion (a happy occasion rather than the funeral reunions we've been having). When I return I will research and study the testing video. His pet sitter will be in twice a day.

Coconut has been off of insulin for over 2 weeks - vet orders as he hypo'd and his BG has been low. The glucotest was given to get a rough idea how he was and if it went high I was to call vet. But the color gradations just confused me, it seemed that it indicated high. Thats when I messaged here. i couldn't travel without knowing something definite. I decided to take him in for an inhouse BG. It was 68 that's after no insulin. Don't know what's happening. So next week when I return, I am to bring him in again. this is so stressful.

6. RuBee

RuBee Member

You know, we had this problem with our Glucotest squares, too. It was a while ago so I may be wrong, but I think there might have been some acknowledgment in the instructions that if strips are left saturated in urine long enough they can change from their original result and darken on their own. Perhaps a few escaped your cleaning and you're seeing false results? (It may also be that we just found that out on our own... I'm having trouble finding anything online about false results with Glucotest).

Undoubtedly your best bet would be hometesting, but if it's just not going to happen without causing behavioral or relationship issues, the Glucotest isn't a waste of money, IMO. But observation of his habits and physical indicators like his urine might be more telling - the only problem with that idea is that it can create a 'too little, too late' problem. Crossing the fingers (and paws!) and wishing you good luck with the testing! :smile:

7. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

68 is great! how long after insulin?

8. Olivia and Coconut

Thanks for the replies. RuBee, I believe you are right, it was a false reading, there is not much about it on line, and this is only my second week with it. And I was anxious because of my trip (taking the train from NNews to PhillY this am, live in Hampton)

Last insulin morning of Saturday 8/7, hypo evening of 8/7. To vet on 8/9, BG at vet 131 (72 hours after insulin). So vet said no more insulin until further notice. Use test squares to get an indicator of range, Call him if concern.

So yesterday was as I posted, and the 68 was without insulin for 19 days.

I am not so good with computer stuff, but will get a profile going on return (i read yours Bee).

will check FDMB at my son's in NJ, Then I am off to Mass. so will be out of touch then

Many thanks for being there for me (its just me and the cats)

9. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

I did not find the Glucotest confetti that you put into the litter too helpful.
    It is, in my opinion, good for a screening test of diabetes, but not good for on-going testing.

First off, once the packet is opened, the clock starts ticking and they are only 'good' for about
    10 days. Then you have to open a new packet. $7-8- per packet. A little cheaper on-line.
    You can get 2-3 uses from each packet by using only part of the packet and tightly re-sealing the
    packet.

You sprinkle it into the litter and mix in. It turns color when exposed to urine that contains glucose.
    You have to wait about 30 minutes for the color to 'develop' after the cat pees on it.

And then there is the pleasure of dissecting clump-litter pee-clumps, to get at the exposed strips and
    observe the color. Keep plenty of exam gloves on hand.

After three days, you are supposed to completely change the litter, throw out that batch and start over.
    Another expense (changing clumping litter every 3 days).

And....it ONLY tells you if there is glucose in the urine. If there is no color indication, that only means
    the renal threshold has not been reached. It cannot tell you if the BG has gone low.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.