PZI and Pro Zinc?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lori in Ohio, Sep 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lori in Ohio

Lori in Ohio Member

I am a little confused about PZI and Pro Zinc. Are they the same?

2. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

ProZinc is the newest form of PZI. For info on PZI and the different types, google the petdiabetes wikipedia article

Jen

3. Lori in Ohio

Lori in Ohio Member

Thanks, I just read that.

Do most people now use the Pro Zinc (of PZI users)?

4. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

Not sure what the proportion is...people on the PZI forum could tell you more. I've read pros and cons for prozinc, and frankly, just from what i've read here I'd go with BCP form of PZI should I have to pick. If I had to pick an insulin again, I'd likely pick lantus but since I'm not in that position I cannot say for certain.

5. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

I've heard mixed reviews of ProZinc.

In the past, I've used PZI from BCP and was pleased with the results.

With my two new(er) diabetics, I went with Levemir and am very happy with it. If I had a problem with the 12 hour Levemir shot schedule, I would go back to BCP's PZI in a heartbeat.

6. Lori in Ohio

Lori in Ohio Member

My cat is newly on Lantus and I wont know for awhile how its going to work for her.
    I myself have a problem with the strict 12 hour schedule.

If I change her in the future, I just wondered which one people were using.

7. Laurie and Mr Tinkles

Laurie and Mr Tinkles Well-Known Member

We used ProZinc for 3 months before switching to Lantus. IMHO, ProZinc is an excellent insulin, and so is Lantus. I have no experience with BCP PZI. I have heard good and bad things about every insulin in use. It really isn't about what is the best insulin, it's about what is the best insulin for your cat and your situation.

If you go to the PZI forum, there is a ongoing discussion about cost that you might find of interest.

If you can't stick to a 12/12 schedule, I would switch to a PZI. Lantus really requires a strict 12/12 schedule. The nice thing about the PZIs is the flexibility, both in schedule and dosing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.